Cleaning swim caps

IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
edited January 2016 in General Discussion

So, been awhile since I wore my swim caps, but I've got access to an indoor pool at my boss's house, so am wearing caps now again.

I pulled out my favorite cap (daughter #1 gave it to me and it says: You're unique. Just like everyone else) and there are black spots all over it. I think it might be mold or smthg equally yuck.

Should I say goodbye to this cap? Or is there a way to clean it? The cap is latex. Bleach-water? Ideas?

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

Comments

• wendyv34wendyv34 Vashon, WASenior Member

I usually throw caps away before they get moldy, due to failure of some sort. Latex caps tend to get sticky or crunchy before they reach the moldy phase and usually will blow apart. Silicone caps tend to last longer (I've gotten as much as 5 years out of them) and I have encountered mold on those. In fact, there's a guy who swims at my pool who has been wearing the same old moldy silicone cap for years. He was doing the same thing with his Speedo until we told him that it wasn't ok to wear a suit with holes in the butt and he deserved a new one. ;)

Anyway, if your cap has sentimental value, you'll probably want to start with something gentle to remove the mold, maybe baking soda and light scrubbing with an old toothbrush? Bleach will probably work, but will also hasten the cap's demise. Latex caps last longer if you rinse and dry them after each use. If you want to preserve a cap from a memorable event, put some talcum powder in/on it, after drying it thoroughly. Some people do this after every use, although I'm far too lazy to do that...and I have more than a lifetime supply of caps sitting in a box.

If you aren't attached to that cap, toss it out and treat yourself to a new one...you deserve it!

IronMike

It's always a bad hair day when you work at a pool.

• swimmer25kswimmer25k Charter Member

You're at the point of no return. Time to buy a new one. I didn't know that you wore caps indoors. The last time I saw you, you were "follicly challenged". Have things improved in that area due to awesome advances in Kyrgyz medicine??

IronMike
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

Thanks @wendyv34!

No, @swimmer25k, no change to my hair count, and I almost peed reading "Kyrgyz medicine"! Now that's funny.

Seriously, though, here in the FSU, all must wear caps. Even the guys with little to no hair!

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams