Sprinting??

Last night pool was pretty packed so instead of doing my usual set I instead ended up doing 25m and 50m sprints.
(I used a slow guy as a pacer, e.g i would sprint when he reached my side and then i sprint 100% effort, rest until he caught up and go again) Ended up being a good session in the end. Even though the pool was 31C :((

So any thoughts on this? Is short and many sprints more beneficial than 100s and 200s if you have limited pool time??

FlowSwimmersdpm50wendyv34

Comments

• FlowSwimmersFlowSwimmers Polson, MontanaMember

You might be surprised how helpful this type of training can actually be for long distance swimming. I'm a big fan of short interval training at high speed.

dpm50
  • ChrisBChrisB Issaquah, WAMember

Variety is key, both within the workout and throughout the training week/cycle. I like to incorporate sprint sets at the end of some workouts because with 25s and 50s you can keep up technique even if you are fatigued vs. trying to do a fast 200 set where your stroke might start breaking down and you risk injury and prolonged recovery time.

I also know that if I'm going to have a short workout in the week or will miss a couple of days I can get in a more difficult workout prior because I'll have more recovery time between workouts.

Of course take my advice with a grain of salt because I'm battling shoulder problems right now.

• dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

I have to admit I enjoy sets like that that. And I'll happily swim a 50 freestyle in the same meet as I swim a 500. In crowded pools too, the sprints are good b/c you keep getting an idea of where people are so as to avoid collisions. That said, I'd be the "slow guy" in your lane. And all the more need those sprints!

• andissandiss Senior Member

thanks for the comments lad, my choice would have been to go slower and pace myself for the other lad, he was doing a 2-3km in one go, open water swimmer, big man, big arms, he is known to wack people over the head so i thought id make the most of it! ;)

• msathletemsathlete Victoria, British Colubia, CanadaMember

I agree with @ChrisB . Variety is key. I use both sprints and stroke work throughout the season. I love fly sprints. They are a great way to build power. And if I am with a group doing 100 X 100 I switch it up and do it IM.