Apparently wetsuits aren't warm enough

dc_in_sfdc_in_sf San FranciscoCharter Member

Saw this posted to the open water group on FB

Blue seventy is making one for "cold water" swimming.

The suit was tried by professional triathlete Sara McLarty at last year’s Escape From Alcatraz Triathlon where the swim is held in the chilly waters of San Francisco Bay.

Sara said: “The Thermal Helix made a huge difference in the temperature of my core and extremities while swimming in water below 55 degrees [12 degrees Celsius]. "

While I have sympathy for people who might find 55F to be cold (I started swimming in the Bay with a wetsuit), it boggles my mind that you'd need an even warmer wetsuit - especially for someone who can do a sub 30 minute swim leg like the athlete quoted.

I'd genuinely be curious if there is actually a big enough market for these to justify their existence. Maybe the wetsuit crowd wanting swim year around in <50F water? But that has to be a pretty small group?

http://notdrowningswimming.com - open water adventures of a very ordinary swimmer

Comments

• lakespraylakespray Senior Member

Per the Blue Seventy web site the price range is $500 to $850. Enough said.

NoelFigartJustSwim
  • suziedodssuziedods Mem​ber

OMFG... enough. Just one more toy.
    While I sympathise with those living in the northern climes ( Iceland? Ireland? Sweden?) this is just too much.

• andissandiss Senior Member

I guess this is a Triathlon problem as they have no fat?! Just buy a hooded surf wetsuit instead? Its not like your swimming that far anyway? Just use a snorkel or shitload of lube cause surfing wetsuits are very high in the neck.

• wendyv34wendyv34 Vashon, WASenior Member

I know a couple of people who have worn two wetsuits for winter swimming in Puget Sound. Both of them are much leaner than I am. I'm not sure how you even move in two wetsuits, since I've never felt like I could move my arms in a single full suit.

It's always a bad hair day when you work at a pool.

• SoloSolo B.C. CanadaSenior Member

wendyv34 said:
    I know a couple of people who have worn two wetsuits for winter swimming in Puget Sound. Both of them are much leaner than I am. I'm not sure how you even move in two wetsuits, since I've never felt like I could move my arms in a single full suit.

I swam (lakes) all winter in water down to just above freezing, in a low end wetsuit. The neoprene becomes quite inflexible and takes a lot more energy to swim in at lower temperatures. I can't even imagine trying two suits. Still, any swim outdoors is much more enjoyable than endless laps in the pool!

tortugadpm50