Sleep / Rest / Recovery

SuirThingSuirThing Member
edited June 2012 in General Discussion
Having read a recent article about Ireland's high performance swim team I was struck by the emphasis each of them placed on the importance of sleep. Regardless of the sportstar, everyone from Usain Bolt to Tiger Woods talks up the importance of rest and recovery in their interviews. For most elite athletes, (or at least for those that are "full-time"), life consists solely of training and recovery, without the interference of a full-time job. The age profile of many of these elite sportstars would also suggest that they might not yet have to factor in "family time" either.

Those of you training for channel swims are I imagine putting in similar training hours to many of these elite athletes while also having to maintain the capacity to earn a living (with enough to spare to cover the cost of your swim!), and if you also have kids .... how do you fit it all in and leave enough hours in the day to get the necessary recovery time, especially given the link between tiredness and ability to tolerate cold.
I tried to convince myself, but, orange flavour electrolyte, mixed with hot chocolate,
tastes nothing like Terry's Chocolate Orange ....
Tagged:

Comments

• If you want something done, ask a busy person :-)
  • bobswimsbobswims Charter Member
    The weakest part of my training program is adequate sleep
  • loneswimmerloneswimmer Admin
    edited June 2012
    I'm at day 15 without a break from swimming. I only did 90 minutes swimming today. because I was wrecked. Bad, bad me, I should (and do), know better.

A more useful or appropriate answer would be, almost every marathon (Channel) swimmer that I know makes significant sacrifices to swim, and just as importantly, so do their families (esp, partners, spouses, children where this is applicable). The biggest sacrifice is time for other things and people. It's very visible at the various parties where the families are just as important as the swimmers, and most swimmers are keen to make sure their families sacrifices and help are recognised.

• A more useful or appropriate answer would be, almost every marathon (Channel) swimmer that I know makes significant sacrifices to swim, and just as importantly, so do their families (esp, partners, spouses, children where this is applicable). The biggest sacrifice is time for other things and people. It's very visible at the various parties where the families are just as important as the swimmers, and most swimmers are keen to make sure their families sacrifices and help are recognised.

I'm very thankful that my fiance understands and supports my going to bed very early so I can get up stupid early to spend enough time in the pool before I go to work to mean anything. Sometimes on Friday nights when I go to bed early, she gets a little annoyed, but mostly, it means date nights are Saturday, since I don't swim sundays, usually.

I'm not going to end up doing it, but she would have even let me race something open water on our honeymoon.
  • AMEN! The impact on our lives (business, work, social activities, etc) and the lives of those around us are huge. Last year I did IMTX and there was a lot that went into getting my body and mind ready to go 140.6. In my mind my training time was the couple hours I was swimming or six hours I was on the bike, etc. My reminded me I was not too eager to do much after those workouts and that I might as well double it (time commitment). Awareness is but a beginning BUT it is where we need to start.
  • heartheart Member
    A related issue: Before a long race - a channel crossing or a marathon - do you taper in any way? How many days of rest do you allow yourselves before and after a race?
  • heartheart Member
    Thanks, Evan! Most useful thread.