Swimming in synchrony

This podcast is only a couple of minutes long:
http://www.npr.org/2016/05/03/476559518/the-health-benefits-of-dancing-go-beyond-exercise-and-stress-reducer

The focus is on dancing in synchrony, but it made me think of all the many hours I've spent swimming in sync and how the d scribed benefits are similar.

To elaborate further, stroke matching is something I like to work on with my swim buddies, because it's an enjoyable way to pass the miles, but an added benefit as per this study might be that it increases ones tolerance of the discomforts experienced during a marathon swim. Some of my fondest open water memories are of swimming in tandem, and more so with strokes synchronized.

...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

wendyv34j9swimrosemarymintpavlicov

Comments

• wendyv34wendyv34 Vashon, WASenior Member

I love that sensation of cruising in synch with a buddy, it definitely feels easier and faster. :-c

It's always a bad hair day when you work at a pool.

• j9swimj9swim CharlestonSenior Member

it one of my favorite ways to swim. i use to not be able to do it due to my inconsistencies as a swimmer. but i've now put on enough miles and swim at a steady pace that when the chance comes along its a lovely way to wile the hours.

• NoelFigartNoelFigart Lebanon, NHSenior Member

I begin to wonder if this has something to do with my extreme reluctance to do group swims or even Masters. I couldn't match strokes with much of anyone and keep up, and it can be uncomfortable enough that the endorphin rush I usually feel when I work out wouldn't kick in.

• JustSwimJustSwim Senior Member

One of my favorite parts of my recent SCAR swims was swimming in synch with my fellow swimmers. I have a longer stroke with a lower stroke rate but I usually have little problem swimming tandem with someone who can maintain a similar pace. When I train locally I usually swim in tandem with at least one training partner. It helps fight boredom and makes me work harder.

FlowSwimmers
  • wendyv34wendyv34 Vashon, WASenior Member

Anyone ever look their swim buddy in the eyes a few times and start giggling? One little smile is all it takes...on a great swimming day, I'm on the verge of laughter most of the time anyway.

In the April calendar pic, (the one still on the home page), I'd snuck up on my friend and paced her 'til she breathed over to the left and saw me. A couple of strokes later, we were cracking up. Then my teeth got cold! 8-}

NoelFigartrosemarymintdavid_barraSolo

It's always a bad hair day when you work at a pool.