marathonswimmers.org went "public" on Mon Mar 12th 10.30am GMT

loneswimmerloneswimmer Admin
edited August 18 in General Discussion
I posted the announcement on my blog, Twitter and emailed the CS&PF Channel Chat group. Evan will follow up later. Everyone/anyone should feel free to share the info.

We're on Twitter at http://twitter.com/marathon_swimrs

Comments

• IronMikeIronMike Bishkek, KyrgyzstanCharter Member
    It is on my FB and will be on my blog later this evening, Moscow-time.
  • Kb236Kb236 Member
    Thanks for the invite!!! Looking forward to be part of this

Keith
  • Wonderful, wonderful! Looking forward to discussions on this forum. Thanks, Evan!
  • caburkecaburke Charter Member
    Congratulations and best of luck with the new site.
  • I have put it on our Big Blue page on facebook. Great idea for a forum.
  • evmoevmo San FranciscoAdmin
    edited March 2012
    Thanks to everyone who signed up on Day 1 of the Marathon Swimmers Forum. We may be a tiny community, but we're an enthusiastic one! When Donal and I decided to launch this, we agreed that the only "metrics" that matter are (1) breadth of participation and (2) usefulness to the global community of marathon swimmers. I can't speak for Donal, but I'm happy with what's happened here in the past 20 hours - on both counts.

The other metrics are impressive, too. After a 5-day soft-launch to about 30, the Forum has added 83 members (for a total of 113) in the 20 hours since the public launch. (The total at right represents only email-confirmed members). The Forum registered its 100th member after only 11 hours.

The Forum counts several International Marathon Swimming Hall of Famers among its members - and several more shoo-in future HOFers.

Marathon swimming is international - and so is its Forum. Among those who visited on March 12 (Pacific time), the following countries are represented (non-registered guests included):

• United States (50%)

• United Kingdom (21%)

• Ireland (10%)

• Australia (6%)

• South Africa (2%)

• Canada, Sweden (1% each)

• Italy, New Zealand, Russia, Switzerland, Germany, Netherlands, Jersey, Japan, Cayman Islands, Mexico, Belarus, Czech Republic, Spain, Isle of Man, India, Kuwait, Malta, Malaysia, Puerto Rico, Seychelles (less than 1%)

Here is a map showing the distribution of visits to the Forum. Each dot represents a city, and the dot's size represents the number of visits.

Onward to Day 2!

Important Note: These stats are summarized and anonymized by Google. We're not tracking individual movements on the forum. It's just interesting to see the global distribution of marathon swimmers.
  • IronMikeIronMike Bishkek, KyrgyzstanCharter Member
  • It looks to me like almost all the main hotbeds of Channel & marathon swimming are represented. Next South & Central America, Asia and more Africa!

I am also gobsmacked by the first public day response and want also to thank everyone.

We have have a full range of aspiring and successful marathon swimmers. People have engaged and asked questions, and long may this continue.
    edited March 2012
    A couple hours ago the Marathon Swimmers Forum welcomed its 150th registered member (view them here). Thanks to everyone who has joined up these first five days!

Thanks especially to those who have asked questions, answered questions, or otherwise participated. An online forum such as this is only as useful as the quantity & quality of participation. If you haven't commented yet, don't be shy - throw your hat in the ring! Marathon swimming is tough, and often lonely. Draw on the collective wisdom and support of this great community!

It should also be emphasized: You are allowed to disagree. Donal and I both have strong opinions (about swimming & lots of other things), but we can certainly be wrong! Don't hesitate to take us on. Just don't be mean :-)
    edited August 18
    http://dailynews.openwaterswimming.com/2012/03/creme-de-la-creme-meet-virtually-at.html

While we certainly appreciate the shout-out, we dispute Steven @Munatones' description of us as an "exclusive bunch."

On the contrary, the Forum's membership is remarkably diverse. Our members hail from every continent but Antarctica, and include both speedsters and plodders, teens and septuagenarians, Olympians and IMSHOF inductees, as well as those who are looking to tackle their first 10K swim. The Forum welcomes ALL who wish to discuss and celebrate the noble calling of marathon swimming - without prejudice or "exclusivity."

In other news, the Forum had its 200th member and 500th post today. Sincere thanks to all for helping make this such a vibrant community already.
    edited August 18
    On arbitrary milestones: yesterday we welcomed our 1,000th confirmed member and 15,000th Forum post.

Thanks to all for an informative and inspiring two-and-a-half years!

As always, the Forum is only as compelling as its participating members -- their questions and dreams, just as much as their experience and wisdom.

-- When in doubt, speak up.
    -- If the answer seems obvious, don't assume it's obvious to everyone.

Passing on the wisdom of thousands of miles swum is one of the best ways to give back to a community that depends on mutual altruism.

And finally, if you have any private suggestions for @loneswimmer and/or me, please don't hesitate to contact us, via Forum private message, or email, or the MSF Contact Form.