About all the deleted users you may have noticed ..

loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
edited September 2012 in General Discussion
Just to let you know, we've had a big surge over the last few days of SPAMers trying to sign up to the forum. For those of you who joined early on it was a simple click-to-sign. As forum members increased, @evmo later added a question about swimming background so they had to be approved.

We haven't been booting Forum members off, once a SPAMer is denied sign-up they show in the list at the bottom of your page as a deleted user.

In the case at any time that we inadvertently sign one up, and don't notice any subsequent SPAM comments, just notify myself or @evmo by PM.

Cheers guys.

loneswimmer.com

Tagged:

Comments

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    Update on this for anyone wondering about the recent rash of deleted users.

I opened email-only registrations again (i.e., not verified by facebook, twitter, or googleID) in anticipation of new membership interest from the awards. Predictably, there was an immediate wave of spam-bot registrations.

I think I finally solved the problem-- new users now have to answer: "What is two plus three?" So at least until the robots learn arithmetic, we should be in the clear.

Cheers.
  • bobswimsbobswims Santa Barbara CACharter Member
    Boy, I am glad I'm already registered and don't have to get past Dave's selection process. It makes the MIMS essay look like a walk in the park.
  • KNicholasKNicholas ArizonaCharter Member
    @Bob - I doubt the MIMS application process will ever be easy. It was apparenly designed by an army of evil lawyers. I spent more time on the application process than the actual swim -- but well worth it.
  • edited November 2012
    Geez, I thought the two plus three question was a joke. No wonder it made me give the correct answer.