Vasa training

elisfalconelisfalcon Member
edited November 2012 in General Discussion
Hi,
Has anyone had any experience using a Vasa trainer? How has it worked out for you?
Thanks,
Elias
Tagged:

Comments

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    Dryland cords are a more affordable, and IMO, very effective alternative.

I use THESE.
  • emkhowleyemkhowley Boston, MACharter Member
    edited December 2012
    I'm a tad obsessed with the Vasa trainer. I never had the opportunity to use one in college, but was first introduced to the wonders of Vasa a couple years ago when I started training with West Side Swim Club in Sudbury, MA under Nate McBride. He used to give me sets he called "mountains." They're super simple and give a killer workout.

Set the trainer at a reasonable incline (what you think will be a touch challenging but not too awful) and start with 5 reps. Take a minute break. Then do 10 reps. Minute break. 15 reps. Minute beak. You can continue on up- I usually start to breakdown at the 25 rep level with the incline set to 4 or 5. And then the fun really begins. You get to come back down decreasing by 5 reps and resting for one minute between each group. By the time you get to the end of the 15 rep segment, you may want to cry, and that's OK. After it's all over, it'll feel like you've done a 5,000 yard workout that you've finished in about 15 minutes.

Just be careful not to overdo it. I've had some sub-scapular issues over the past couple years and I suspect the Vasa may aggravate it, but I'm not sure. So start out gently and work up slowly.
    Enjoy!

Stop me if you've heard this one...
    A grasshopper walks into a bar...
    https://elainekhowley.com/