Nutrition and multi-day marathon swims

ForeverSwimForeverSwim Charter Member
edited February 2013 in General Discussion
While I am sure there is a thread posted for different approaches to marathon swimming nutrition, I am interested in learning from the forum members who are training/have completed multiple-day distances.

The nutritional intake I use during my marathon swims has worked well, however I could not imagine continuing to eat that for 1-2 days longer! What information can you provide on what works best for ultra-marathon distances? Thank you!
www.darren-miller.com
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A.
Tagged:

Comments

• ssthomasssthomas Charter Member
    Been thinking about this myself! I always crave cheeseburgers towards the end of a swim, which indicates to me I'd need more protein to sustain for longer swims. but, beyond that? I know lots of people have done this, and would love to get some advice! @jamie and @chloemccardeldotcom
  • ForeverSwimForeverSwim Charter Member
    @ssthomas - Next swim you do, I would like to be on it so I can feed you cheeseburgers from the kayak :) One for you, one for me...
    Due to the fact that few people feel the need to swim for multiple days, I guess this thread has little attention, but hopefully we can create a spark at some point!
    www.darren-miller.com
    @foreverswim: It's a deal. We're gonna need lots of cheeseburgers. How do you think pickles would go with a marathon swim?
  • ssthomas said:

How do you think pickles would go with a marathon swim?

If the water is hot, the salt in the pickes would help a lot. Pickle Juice has saved my ass on hot bike rides before.
    @timsroot- I'd imagine the salt would be good in fresh water, probably not so much in the ocean! :-)
  • ForeverSwimForeverSwim Charter Member
    @ssthomas - Pickles = Heaven. I always get extra pickles when I order one! See, I knew we were great friends for a reason!!

@timsroot - I would have zero desire to drink pickle juice while training, ha!
    www.darren-miller.com
  • I managed to get pickle juice in my eye in China. Very unpleasant. The recommended cure was tea. I suspect that's the Chinese equivalent of the dad's Windex in My Big Fat Greek Wedding.
    @foreverswim: Maybe we'd get more advice if we had @evmo rename this thread for us. Since we've generated some interest with pickles, perhaps 'Pickle Juice in Marathon Swimming' or something like that would generate more buzz?
  • evmoevmo San FranciscoAdmin
    edited February 2013
    Touché, @ssthomas! I suppose I deserved that :)
    I was just teasing, just a little, @evmo. :-D