Swimming events close to Morocco

Nadia_BBNadia_BB Casablanca - MoroccoMember
edited February 2013 in Locations & Networking
Hi Everyone,

I live in Morocco and very VERY new to open water swimming word. My first participation to an open water event was supposed to be last october in spain (a 7 km). I trained for it but unfortunately it has been cancelled due to bad weather :( . Unfortunately despite our beautiful coasts there are no swimming events in the country. So i am looking for events that would be close ... i haven't found much in the calendars i found much.
Thanks !
Nadia
Tagged:

Comments

• Nadia_BBNadia_BB Casablanca - MoroccoMember
    Thanks a lot. Very useful ... i think i can find something for 2013. If any swimmer in Morocco, please let me know :)
  • owenswims93owenswims93 Fermoy, IrelandSenior Member
    Hi @Nadia_BB. I think there might be some swims in the Canary Islands, though I'm not sure. Just putting it out there...

http://fermoyfish.com – Owen O'Keefe (Fermoy, Ireland)

Thank you !
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

Don't know if @Nadia_BB is still active here, but I just saw today that there is a multi-day swim fest in Morocco. 4 swims of 6.5k, 8.5k, 10k and 5k in the lagoon of the city of Dakhla, at the end of Nov/beginning of December.

Anyone else interested? I wrote to the organizers, as under the required equipment they list wetsuit, despite pictures from the last iteration of this event clearly shows some folks swimming "skins."

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• LynneLynne Member

@IronMike, Nadia is still active and is in fact one of the ambassadors of the Morocco Swim Trek that I think you are referring to. I will put her in touch with you if you like.

Lynne said:
    @IronMike, Nadia is still active and is in fact one of the ambassadors of the Morocco Swim Trek that I think you are referring to. I will put her in touch with you if you like.

How funny! I'm moving in August, but this'll be an event that I'll bug my new boss about letting me take leave for!

Nadia_BB

Hi everyone !
    @IronMike , i am still active here indeed. Thanks Lynne:)
    The Morocco Swim trek is a beautiful event as it is in the very south of Morocco in the Sahara. So you can swim very close to beautiful dunes.
    Wetsuit is defintely not mandatory. The water is around 17°C . The challenge there is the wind. I highly recommend... really beautiful experience and a nice way to close the year :)
    Last year it was the first edition with 25km. Few swimmers from the US were there. This year it will be 30 km in total.
    A 20 min movie about the event if you want to preview
    Would love to meet you there. Hope you can make it. Let me know if i can help in anything. Edith Molina the organizer is also every nice and helpful.

LynnenabilradIronMike
  • EricEric Member
    edited May 2016

"Morocco Swim Trek" :

Is that affiliated with the regular Swim Trek, or is it taking advantage of their brand and reputation, and failure to trademark the name?

• JaimieJaimie NYCMem​ber

@Eric, the event is NOT affiliated with the UK Swim Trek company.

@Nadia_BB thanks so much for the video. I tried to find results from last year, but that part of your page won't load. Any chance you've got them handy? I always like to check to make sure I won't be the slowest swimmer. I got surprised once when I went to a 5K in Cyprus and was the oldest by over 20 years and also the slowest 5K by about 30 minutes. :O

@IronMike I ll try to get them for you ! but i think no worries they were all ages and all capacities :)

IronMike