Cork Distance Week

HaydnHaydn Member
edited March 2013 in General Discussion
Cork Distance Week.
Are you going? Where are you staying? Where is the nearest place to the training water?

Comments

• loneswimmerloneswimmer Admin
    edited March 2013
    Kinsale is the nearest town, very pretty coastal tourist town, about 10 minutes cycle away (some travelling swimmers might consider renting a bike, but a lot of people will car pool). You could get a B&B there which most people will probably do, or you could stay in Cork City, but that's about 30 minutes drive away. Alternatively there's Garrylucas village on the other side of the peninsula, or Ballyporeen, a little bigger, about the same distance away.

Kinsale has plenty of good restaurants (it markets itself as Ireland's gourmet capital). Some people prefer to get self-catering accommodation and may be looking for people to share since B&Bs won't usually provide breakfast before the 6am swims, though people work around this fairly easily. Ned would have the details if anyone is looking to share..

I may be down on the first Friday (fun) night just to say hello to a few people who are coming, possibly also for the Monday night swim if it's a repeat of last year's, and I hope to be hosting a swim during the week over on the Copper Coast (which got blown out last year). I'll be down for the final weekend volunteering for the Torture Swim, I haven't decided about the qualification swim day yet.
  • ChickenOSeaChickenOSea Charter Member
    I'd so love to do this one day!!!!
  • IronMikeIronMike Bishkek, KyrgyzstanCharter Member
  • KarenTKarenT Charter Member
    There's a campsite near-ish to Sandy Cove (Garrettstown House Holiday Park) - I stayed there in my campervan, but they have tent camping too. I thought the site was a bit bland, but it has great views and did the job.
  • HaydnHaydn Member
    I think a holiday home would be best. Can get a decent sleep and stay warm between sessions .
  • HaydnHaydn Member
    I booked a holiday apartment. Who else is going?
  • SylleSylle Gothenburg, SwedenMember
    See you there :)

(Practicing my out-of-water stroke ... in case the water is still too cold then ...)
  • Something I've been meaning to do for a long time: An introductory guide to swimming Sandycove, should be helpful for those of you coming for the first time (not @Sylle, he's a hardcore Sandycover already). I'll have the second (final) part up next Monday or Tuesday.

I had fun trawling back through a lot of photos for this, even a couple of pics from last year's camp.

I have no doubt I'll get some (what we Irish call) slagging (ribbing/teasing/out-and-out abuse) for this, but I've held back the secrets, those you have to learn the hard way!
  • MvGMvG Member
    I am going. Staying in an apartment with 3 other participants. Looking forward to the experience.
  • SuirThingSuirThing Member
    edited July 2013
    Is the first rule of Distance Week that you don't talk about Distance Week???? :)
    I tried to convince myself, but, orange flavour electrolyte, mixed with hot chocolate,
    tastes nothing like Terry's Chocolate Orange ....
  • HaydnHaydn Member
    Best swimming I have ever had. Thanks to great locations, great swimmers and fantastic weather. Too scared to go next year in case the weather is normal. Tough luck, going to apply anyway...........................................Definately recommend every English Channel aspirant to go.