The Elite Marathon Swimming Thread

evmoevmo Admin
edited July 2013 in General Discussion
A thread for miscellaneous discussion of FINA World Cup, Grand Prix, Olympics, & other elite international competition.

Who is responsible for the Lac St. Jean events (including both World Cup & Grand Prix races) being held at the same time as World Championships?

There were only 12 men and 5 women who started today's World Cup event. Forum member Mallory Mead @mmead was entered in the Grand Prix race but was offered a spot in the World Cup race, presumably because the field was so sparse.

Here are the 10km results:

http://traversee.qc.ca/fr/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2013/07/01428e69d1e15f44966c71ea39fb8577.pdf

Comments

• IronMikeIronMike Bishkek, KyrgyzstanCharter Member
  • I think they did this 2 years ago, too.
  • NiekNiek Member
    Those FINA big shots aren't paid to think.
    They only go for the prestige. the perks and the money.

31 degrees Celsius as maximum temperature for open water swimming is another example. Hey if they did the right thing all those rich Arab states would be excluded. And than they would miss staying in hotels like 'Burj Al Arab' all expenses paid.
    http://openwaterswimming.eu - Cold, wind, waves, sunburn, currents, jellyfish and flotsam! Hop in and join the fun!
  • mmeadmmead Charter Member
    The Grand Prix race was simply held the same time its always held. With the Traversee there is a week-long festival along with it. It spite of very cold temperatures on Wednesday there were still 7, 000 people at the 'dinner in the streets.' Besides most of the people who swim at World champs aren't the ones who swim at Grand Prix race (but that's a story for another day.) The world cup is a new offering and was squeezed in the schedule. The Grand Prix is the main event.

I did notice that there was a letter from the president of FINA in the information packet that seemed to suggest that he had no idea that the world cup was the same time as Worlds. He wrote in the letter that performances at this race would be good indicators of the performances we will see at Worlds.

Personally Im glad it worked out the way it did. I got to get some of my pre race jitters out of my system and got paid to 'swim to finish' in a 10k. Most races it is difficult to break even, this round I might just go home with a little something extra. Chances like that dont come around very often in the world of professional marathon swimming.