Janet Manning Lake Tahoe swim

edited August 2013 in Cheering Section
I would like to congratulate Janet Manning on completing a wetsuit assisted swim across Lake Tahoe. Although her swim is not considered a marathon swim I am so proud of her in so many ways. When we started to work together she had swam no more than 20,000 yards in a week. Through hard work her longest week approached 70,000 yards. Because of weather we had to do her swim overnight. She was tough as nail. Janet finished her swim in 14 hours and 29 minutes. The reason why I am posting this on The Marathon Swimmers Forum is because I wanted to point out that Janet has made a effort to explain to those following her and the media the difference in her wetsuit swim and a marathon swim. Here is part the report she sent her local media.

"Another important distinction to make about my swim is that it was a wetsuit assisted swim. A wetsuit does give a swimmer an advantage of warmth, floatation & compression. There are those who do this swim by traditional English Channel rules (only a cap, goggles a swimsuit permitted). I have done long distance or marathon swims by these rules, however b/c of the temp of Lake Tahoe and the long time I would be in the water, I knew I would need to have a wetsuit this time."

Congrats to Janet. She is amazing...
Tagged:

Comments

• edited August 2013
    Well done on all counts, Janet!

Janet is a forum member, perhaps she'll come out & take a bow? :)
  • Well done on all counts, Janet!

I agree.
    http://openwaterswimming.eu - Cold, wind, waves, sunburn, currents, jellyfish and flotsam! Hop in and join the fun!
  • Well done! Her keeping the record straight with the media is exemplary! (sp?)

-LBJ
    "Ordinarily he is insane, but he has lucid moments when he is only stupid." - Heinrich Heine
  • Way to go @JBirrrd!

It was great to follow swim with commentary by @Jamie. You could tell that neither one would give up on each other and the swim would be a success.

Congrats to both!
  • Wow, my own strand on the forum. I don't know what to say. As you can tell, I am not a top ow swimmer, but I'm discovering that my story has struck a chord with many. I only began ow water swimming to aid in my recuperation after an accident. Four years later, I have achieved an unthinkable goal, crossing Lake Tahoe. Even with a wetsuit, this was the most difficult thing I have ever done in my life. I believe people in the general public are inspired by this b/c if an avg 50 yr old swimmer like me can set a goal like this and be successful, then really, there's nothing holding anyone back from achieving their own dreams. Important to note, all credit goes to Jamie Patrick for training my body & Jen Schumacher for training my head. I had planned to attempt this swim again next year sans wetsuit, but that's not gonna happen b/c I made the decision to retire from swimming at 3am in the middle of Tahoe last Fri. But life is good, swim on...
  • http://openwaterswimming.eu - Cold, wind, waves, sunburn, currents, jellyfish and flotsam! Hop in and join the fun!
  • Magnificent swim, Janet. You are inspirational!
    Molly Nance, Lincoln, Nebraska
    http://mollysbigswim.blogspot.com/
    www.facebook.com/molly.nance
  • edited September 2013

Four years later, I have achieved an unthinkable goal, crossing Lake Tahoe. with a wetsuit, this was the most difficult thing I have ever done in my life. I believe people in the general public are inspired by this b/c if an avg 50 yr old swimmer like me can set a goal like this and be successful, then really, there's nothing holding anyone back from achieving their own dreams

OMGosh...
    Substitute: thirty for four
    Florida Straits for Lake Tahoe
    stinger for wet
    64 for 50
    and insert extreme before dream.
    I was channeling Diana Nyad one month before her epic swim.
    Or am I the mole?
  • Major accomplishment, especially considering that it was done at altitude! What's more, coming back from an accident to do something of that magnitude is certainly amazing. This is the kind of stuff that adds to the greatness of this sport, and inspires us all to keep crawling out of bed at 5am to put in the work to reach our goals. Congrats.!!!!!!
    Lactate is for wimps.