What's the next record-distance swim out there?

westwest Member
edited September 2013 in General Discussion
This weekend I was wondering what 110+ mile swim someone might attempt next, and I started looking at the Gulf of California. I don't really know what the distances across are at various points - all I can tell from Google is that there's a ferry that goes 200 km across the Gulf, which is a bit far! Further north in the Gulf the distances look a bit shorter.

What other swims do you think are out there that are likely to be attempted.

(Coincidentally, I just got to the part in Lynn Cox's new book where she talks about giant squid in the Gulf of California. I'm temporarily never swimming again.)
dpm50DanSimonelli

Comments

• English Channel 4 way. Or even a one way from Cherbourg would be rather interesting.
  • EC 4 way, medley order ;-)
    phodgeszohoJaimiedpm50
  • Paul Lundgren is going to attempt across the Sea of Cortez shortly... that's pretty long.. 78miles???
    DanSimonelli
  • I think a good swim would be from the top of Cape York in Australia to Indonesia. Have not been able to get exact distance but looks like 140km.
  • curlycurly Issaquah, WASenior Member

Hey, this is an interesting blast from the past. I just clicked on it because it was a suggestion in related discussions box. Seems like there needs to be some new goal setting... Although the EC IM still has not been accomplished.

malinakaBridgetdpm50
  • BridgetBridget New York StateMember

curly said:
    Hey, this is an interesting blast from the past. I just clicked on it because it was a suggestion in related discussions box. Seems like there needs to be some new goal setting... Although the EC IM still has not been accomplished.

Diabolical.

dpm50