SPOT Tracker for Beginners

heartheart Member
edited July 21 in Beginner Questions
Folks - I bought a (heavily discounted, hurrah!) SPOT tracker for my upcoming swims this year and got a yearly subscription. The device is not intuitive and I was hoping the collective experience on the forum would help. I registered the little gizmo on the website. Now, how do I set up the nifty website where people can follow me? Does the device itself transmit the cute orange dots, or does my crew need to press on the gizmo periodically?
Tagged:

Comments

• I want to know about this as well!
  • From what i read in the instructions. It pretty much a "set it" and "forget it", device. Once the SPOT is registered on the website, All you have to do is turn it on when you start your swim, and make sure it has a clear line of sight to the sky. The rest is pretty much done for you. I think there are some youtube videos for this also.
  • I believe you can embed the map by iFrame on your own site.
    http://openwaterswimming.eu - Cold, wind, waves, sunburn, currents, jellyfish and flotsam! Hop in and join the fun!
  • evmoevmo San FranciscoAdmin
    edited December 2013
    heart said:

Now, how do I set up the nifty website where people can follow me?

1. Log in to your account at findmespot.com
    2. Click the Share tab.
    3. Click Create Shared Page.
    4. Fill in details.
    5. Send your friends the URL to your unique tracking page.
    5a. Alternatively (as @Niek mentions), you can embed the tracking map in your personal website via an iframe tag. Directions are HERE.
    heart said:

Does the device itself transmit the cute orange dots, or does my crew need to press on the gizmo periodically?

Automatically, approximately every 10 minutes. I believe the latest SPOT Gen 3 may have a few additional options.
  • Thank you very much, guys! I'll take the thing for a test ride around town and report back if I encounter any problems.
  • @heart don't know how your html skills are.
    Here is a more elaborate iFrame code with explanation:
    <div style="text-align: center;">
    <iframe frameborder="1" scrolling="yes" src="your link here" height="700" width="600"></iframe>

div style="text-align: center;" ==>center can be replaced by left or right.
    frameborder="1" ==>means with a border around the frame.
    scrolling="yes" ==>means with scrollbar, useful if you want to make the map show smaller than the 600x700 pixels standard size.
    http://openwaterswimming.eu - Cold, wind, waves, sunburn, currents, jellyfish and flotsam! Hop in and join the fun!
  • Thanks!
  • dc_in_sfdc_in_sf San FranciscoMember
    Anyone know how to make the Spot map page show you a scale? Drives me nuts watching someone and not being able to easily figure out how much further they have to go.
    http://notdrowningswimming.com - open water adventures of a very ordinary swimmer
  • evmoevmo San FranciscoAdmin
    edited July 21
    dc_in_sf said:

Anyone know how to make the Spot map page show you a scale?

I don't think that's a feature of the findmespot.com interface.

Two possible work-arounds:

- Pull up maps.google.com (or, sorry @dc_in_sf, maps.bing.com) -- which DO have scales -- in a separate browser window and set it to the same zoom level as the findmespot map.

- Take the GPS coordinates from the findmespot map and plug them into a distance calculator, e.g., HERE.