END-WET 2014 Registration is OPEN

2»

Comments

• ChickenOSeaChickenOSea Charter Member
    I wondered about pesticides and poop, etc, but the water was fine. Didn't get sick. The water in the Red River is always brown, I believe. If anything, it tasted less muddy than last year.
  • SpacemanspiffSpacemanspiff Dallas, TexasSenior Member
    JBirrrd wrote:
    one I call a donut w/ a hole in the middle where I keep a bottle and my paddles. I find it unobtrusive and very helpful in towing my feeds and such.
    I can't picture this, @JBirrrd. Can you send some pics? I also use ISHOF on most of my OW swims. I stick my bottle(s) in the dry bag along with my food and phone, but I'd love to find a way to rig a bottle on the outside so I don't have to open the dry bag while treading water in 3 ft. white caps with my phone inside.

If you set your leash to just the right length, you can actually use it as a pillow while you eat. Just sayin...

"Lights go out and I can't be saved
    Tides that I tried to swim against
    Have brought be down upon my knees
    Oh I beg, I beg and plead..."

• JBirrrdJBirrrd MarylandSenior Member
    http://www.ishof.org/cgi-bin/mivavm?/Merchant2/merchant.mvc+Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SF-H20&Category_Code=SF

I can fit a bottle & my agility paddles or 2 bottles in mine. (not sure on size, but standard bike water bottles). Or I've even put my 40 oz Hydroflask in there with warm feeds. Someone from a group swim was joking to the others that last spring she came upon me out in the middle of the bay having a coffee break (it was actually tea w/ endurolytes so she wasn't too far off.).
  • suziedodssuziedods Mem​ber
    edited June 2014
    I don't have much to add but feel I must. ( it's my OCS , over communication syndrome)
    This was a fun, hard quirky event. The RD was superb w communication, the event price wise is pretty much the most reasonable long distance swim since the price of gas was 25cents a gallon.
    it's the little things that count. As I struggled up the bank at the end and was met by Carmen(who seemed to be everywhere)" Did I want a coke"? DID I!! " Can I open it for you?" ( I musta looked pretty bad) But " YES PLEASE"!. Then , a golf cart ride to the SHOWERS!! HOT showers!
    I asked "Elizabeth" (the drivers name) what brought her out to drive swimmers..
    She said, "I really like the races I do w Andy and I thought it right to give back"
    She's partial to the END-SPAR.
    There were nibbles at the pre-race meeting on Friday, held at a local bakery. There were nibbles at the awards event , held on Sunday. The food at the "BLUE MOOSE" hit the spot after the event.
    There were people cheering on the bridges... the sherrifs dept was super helpful, although they did seem to think we were nuts.
    The RD "rolled w the flow" when the water seemed to be getting too high, communicating w the participants and the Sherriff's Dept to adapt to changing events.
    The fact that you could do it "traditional" or "recreational" only means that participation is what counts. THAT'S a cool event.
    Oh, and no essay required.
  • endracingendracing Grand Forks, NDMember
    hey guys - just to ease some minds - the water quality is pretty high in the red river... latest water quality reports are that it ranks in the top 1/4 of rivers nationwide. wastewater from the city goes into a water treatment plant and is returned to the river cleaner than it came out. we use the river for drinking water (treated of course). as for the agricultural run off? not much of a problem - the valley gradient is very slight so there isn't the rapid runoff after storms that many places get which adds surface pollutants to the river after rainstorms. It's not paradise, but it's close (; The brown color is only suspended clay. The floating stuff this year was debris from river banks - wood and such, and plenty of it. river still high today. hope everyone is recovering nicely--thanks for all the positive feedback - this race really is a joy to put on because of the shared vibe that we're able to create. Thanks for participating and inspiring our community folks!