MSF 6 Person Relays 2014

jcmalickjcmalick Charter Member
edited December 2013 in General Discussion
Although this is the Marathon Swimmer's Forum, and marathon swimming is at the forefront, I personally would like to get into the Relay Realm! I have several marathon swims in mind for 2014 but was thinking the other day, "How cool would it be to organize a MSF Relay?!?!?" Because of the fact that I do not have infinitely deep pockets on my trousers, the six person relay approach would be the most economical and here are the swims I was thinking:

April 19 - Tampa Bay Marathon Swim (TBMS) @ $1950 or $325/swimmer
August 2 - SWIM Across the Sound (SWIM) @ $7500 or $1250/swimmer (much steeper but great charity!)
September 13 - Manhattan Island Marathon Swim (MIMS) @ $2650 or $441.67/swimmer

This idea could be broadened to incorporate two person and four person relays that would encompass other marathon swims such as Boston Light, 8 Bridges, Ederle, Swim Around Charleston, etc. Additionally, all the swims above are regional to the east coast so other relay teams could be formed to tackle Lake Tahoe, Ka'iwi Channel, SBCSA, CCSF, etc. (not excluding anyone internationally, but for me personally, airfare throws in another curveball into the financial picture). PLUS, forming teams could also be factored into shared accommodations, food, rental cars, parties, yada yada yada (thinking SCAR Atmosphere here). Of course there could also be legal ramifications and "MSF" may not be able to be on the team name when officially registering unless @LoneSwimmer & @evmo drew up a special contract or allowed for the trademark symbol to be on the apparel! If there was enough interest, I'm sure there could be multiple teams for the same event. Just some food for thought and let me know if anyone would be interested in "jumping in" for one of the mentioned relays or with other ideas!

Comments

• IronMikeIronMike Bishkek, KyrgyzstanCharter Member
    I did one relay and loved the team I swam with. But really, it was a long day to only swim a total of two hours. Didn't like sitting on the boat for 2.5 hours waiting for my 30 minutes.

That being said, I'm very interested in this relay thing if it is smaller teams and/or some special swim like a La Tuque-style 24 hour swim.
  • I'm game...