Openwater swim records

paulmpaulm Senior Member
edited March 2014 in General Discussion
Hi All, Chloe & I have been looking at a few options for her to swim over the next couple of years (all ocean/open water point to point - some under 50kilometer some close to 100k and above ). I am interested in people's thoughts if
a) Chloe was to do say a 100k swim (no stinger suit ) and following MSF rules (Noting Penny's 108 K record Cayman Island swim in a stinger suit- Openwaterpedia )......Could this swim be considered a record & if so what name or title would you attach to this
b) Same as a above but say a distance of 115 K

Thanks in advance
Paul

Comments

• jcmalickjcmalick Wilmington, DEMember
    @paulm, I would consider either of the swims a record for open water based on traditional rules (100 or 115K). As a community, I think the debate becomes, what is more difficult? I think it's like the tootsie pop and owl debate on how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop! Will the swim in Lake Michigan be the longest or will a swim in the ocean vs a lake be drastically different? What are the threats posed in a lake vs ocean? The new relay record set last summer was done in an ocean and the previous record was done in JBay in South Africa in a confined lagoon that has water transferred from the sea on a continous basis. Records are always meant to be broken and I think records too lay in the eye of the beholder! If a pioneer swim is accomplished, I personally think those are the ones that will go down as legendary because one can always break a record, but only one can be first! That's the beauty of open water swimming as the options are greater than the deepest caverns in the sea!
  • DanSimonelliDanSimonelli San Diego CASenior Member
    Hi Paul,

a). So, you're asking if a 100k swim "without a stinger suit" would/should be considered as breaking Penny's 108k "with stinger suit"?
    And presumably it would be titled, "Longest open ocean swim, 'without stinger suit'..."?

Is that clarification is accurate?
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    This is a thorny issue, but one which seems to be coming up more & more lately, given Diana Nyad's BS record claims, and given Jamie Patrick's upcoming Lake Michigan swim (which, full disclosure, I will be observing along with Scott Zornig and Forrest Nelson).

On the one hand, I'd prefer that MSF not get into the business of "judging" swims of the past. On the other hand, I think swimmers (such as Chloe or Jamie) who wish to undertake ambitious swims while using MSF Rules, deserve some sort of guidance about what claims they can legitimately make. Inevitably, this guidance must proceed from some sort of judgment about what the authentic records are in the various swim categories (and also what the relevant categories are in the first place).

Any members of the Forum community with ideas on how to approach this thorny issue are encouraged to come forward!
  • paulmpaulm Senior Member
    Hi Dan, RE your comments -No. We are just struggling to find any records for longest open ocean swim without a stinger suit records

Thanks Evan, Agree the issue is a little thorny and we welcome ideas please
  • AnthonyMcCarleyAnthonyMcCarley Berwyn, PACharter Member
    edited March 2014
    If MSFederation is in the Rules business (please forgive me, yes, I recognize “business” isn’t the right word, but I can’t think of a better word at the moment), then I think it is in the Ratification business. And if it is in the Ratification business it is in the Record Keeping business. If it is in the Record Keeping business, then…

…I believe you have a few choices.

One, only keep records of swims submitted to MSF after the release of MSF Rules.

Two, keep records of all swim submissions to MSF even if the swims were completed before the release of the MSF Rules. Please note, for this option I am suggesting you only attempt to ratify swims that are submitted to MSF – not try to become forensic swimming historians. You would probably have to have three outcome categories: “Unassisted”, “Assisted”, and “Not enough information to Ratify.” Most likely, most swims would fall into the third category because of lack of documentation reasons.

Three, you become swimming historians and decide which historic swims are benchmarks that meet MSF standards even if they are not submitted to MSF.

All three options are only for non-organizational swims - it would add a layer of unneeded confusion if MSF were to try to keep records for any already standardized organizational swims; such as, CSA and MIMS.

This is a thorny issue... Good luck!
  • david_barradavid_barra NYCharter Member
    I think there are some obvious distinctions that should qualify for separate categories and others that will likely never have unanimous support.

Fresh Water
    Moving Water (river)
    Salt Water
    Male; Female (maybe?)
    Attire (Traditional, Protective, Enhancing?)
    Distance
    Duration
    Latitude (tropical as a separate category?)

Opinions? (I got mine)

...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited March 2014
    In my opinion, to evaluate any claim of a distance record for a point-to-point, non-current-aided, traditional attire, open water swim, it will be necessary to evaluate/categorize certain historical swims.

First, we can throw out all river swims (current aided), which constitute many of the very longest swims, as listed recently by Steve on DNOWS:

http://dailynews.openwaterswimming.com/2014/02/where-will-jamie-patrick-stand-in_19.html?m=1

With the river swims thrown out, we can limit our analysis to open-ocean or lake swims, of which the longest are the following:

1. Veljko Rogošić (2006). 139.8 miles (225km) from Grado to Riccione in the Adriatic Sea. 50 hours, 10 minutes (2.79 mph).

This is the swim listed by the Guinness Book as the "longest distance ever swum without flippers in open sea."

I asked Steve, who advises the Guinness Book on open water swimming, what sort of documentation exists about this swim. I figured since it's listed in the Guinness Book, and since the swim took place in the relatively recent past, that there must be documentation. Long story short, he was not able to provide any. Steve is welcome to come on the Forum and explain this further if he wants.

Even disregarding the documentation issue, this swim seems obviously current-aided with an average speed of nearly 2.8mph (4.5 kph). And indeed, there are strong, predictable currents in the Adriatic. So I think we have to throw this one out.

800px-Adriatic_Sea_Currents_2.svg.png

2. Martin Strel (1994). 100 miles (162km) in the Adriatic Sea. 55 hours, 11 minutes (1.81 mph).

Another Adriatic swim - so also quite likely significantly aided by currents.

(Parentheticaly: Should there be a threshold for current assistance, similar to wind in Track & Field? Obviously currents are present in any large body of water, including lakes. Where should the line be drawn between the big, predictable currents of the Adriatic, and the smaller, less predictable currents of, say, Lake Michigan?)

3. Zhang Jian (2000). 76.5-mile (123km) crossing of Bohai Bay, China. 50 hours, 22 minutes (1.52 mph).

Assuming this swim was done legitimately (traditional attire, etc.), I think this looks like the one to beat. But personally I know nothing about Zhang Jian, nothing about Bohai Bay, and nothing about what documentation may or may not exist. The speed (1.52mph) seems believable.

4. Penny Palfrey (2011). 67.2 miles (100.5km) from Little Cayman to Grand Cayman, Caribbean Sea. 40 hours, 41 minutes (1.65 mph).

The facts of this swim are relatively well-known, compared to the other swims, because the people involved (Penny, Chris, Steve, Richard Clifford) are all part of our community and reasonably known quantities.

Her speed (1.65mph) provides an interesting baseline, because we all know that Penny is a very fast swimmer. I wouldn't be surprised if she swims twice as fast as Martin Strel in flat water. So keep this in mind when thinking about other swims.

And there is the issue of the stinger suit.

5. Vicki Keith (1987). 64-mile (103km) two-way crossing of Lake Ontario. 56 hours, 10 minutes (1.14 mph).

This swim is probably the closest of the five to a "pure," traditional-attire swim. The swimmer and the body of water are known quantities. A beastly swim, no doubt about it. Not a point-to-point swim, though, so I guess that puts it in a different category than what Chloe & Paul are considering.
  • Dave, I'd add a category for extreme conditions also, as we have some amazing ice swims recently! Another category to add is STROKE. Vicki Keith's and Julie Bradshaw's swims in the Butterfly stroke are legend.