The 1st Annual April Fools' 10K Endurance Challenge Started Yesterday!

emkhowleyemkhowley Boston, MACharter Member
edited April 2014 in General Discussion
We forgot to post about this here! *face-palm*

Join us for a distance challenge (dreamed up by the one-and-only Bob Fernald) this month!

The rules for this challenge are simple: Do 10 workouts of 10,000 yards (or meters—either is fine) anytime in the month of April. That’s it. It’s an on-your-honor challenge with no fanfare or prizes, with the aim being to simply stay motivated, on track, and boost yardage in advance of the coming open water season. There's no penalty if you can’t complete the 10 X 10. It’s just a goal and a guideline, a target to aim for and nothing more. Don’t sweat it if you can only get in two or five or eight swims; life gets in the way and this challenge shouldn’t be an added source of stress for anyone.

If you’re lucky enough to live in a warmer climate where a three-hour swim is possible to do in the month of April in open water, go for it. (I'm so jealous!) For us, we’ll be in the pool—Bob lives in New Hampshire and I’m in Boston, so three hours in open water is still a bit much right now. But hopefully by the end of the month it’ll be possible.

No matter where you log these swims, have fun and aim to do about 10,000 yards, or about 5.7 miles. (If you're swimming in a meters pool, you get extra bang for your buck, as 10,000 meters is equivalent to 6.2 miles.) It’s a lot of swimming—a total of nearly (or more than) 60 miles by the time the challenge is over—and an encouraging way to boost your yardage quickly.

Bob has set up a Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Aprilsfoolswim for us to record our progress, so hop on over and start telling us what you're doing. Bob's going to crunch the data after the month is over, and were curious to see who's swimming, how far, and how they're putting together their 10Ks. Sharing your workouts and images from your session are also a great way to add to this adventure.

Stop me if you've heard this one...
A grasshopper walks into a bar...
https://elainekhowley.com/

Tagged:

Comments

• flystormsflystorms Memphis, TNSenior Member
    Man, I wish I had the time to do this. I'd be up for a big challenge like this. I *might* be able to squeeze out 5 instead of the 4 planned this month. Fun!
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    Oh jeez. What a month for this to happen. Back in my Russian pool that'll require 300 laps (598 flip turns!) per 10,000. Oy!

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
    Don't do Facebook. I had been planning four 10k+s anyway. Did five. Was doing some measurements of stuff I haven't tried previously for a future blog post.
    1: 10200m as 40 x100 + 6 x 1k + 200 b/c. (Got fed up of the 100s)
    2: 10800m as 50 x200 + 800 b/c
    3: 12000m as 28x400 + 2 x 400 b/c
    4: 11600m as 14 x 800 + 400 b/c (Planned 12k but pool timetable problem)
    5: 13000m as 13 x 1k.

loneswimmer.com