Craig Lenning - Farallon Swim

Comments

• Damn, I had a lot of work to do today. It looks like I'll be sitting in front of my computer instead. Good luck to Craig.
  • Badass!
    ...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
  • I love Craig. :-)
  • Weather looks good, Day two of some extraordinaryily warm weather for this time of year. water temps IN the bay of 56/57 F. Looks good. Best of luck to Craig. Swim safe.
    I love swimming
    www.suziedodsswimcoaching.com
  • Twitter is @NightTrainSwim. Any weather/water temp/Craig details from boat or crew?
  • edited April 8
    Wind Speed (WSPD): 5.8 kts
    Wind Gust (GST): 7.8 kts
    Wave Height (WVHT): 4.6 ft
    Dominant Wave Period (DPD): 15 sec
    Average Period (APD): 6.8 sec
    Mean Wave Direction (MWD): WNW ( 298 deg true )
    Air Temperature (ATMP): 50.4 °F
    Wind Chill (CHILL): 47.8 °F
    Wind Speed at 10 meters (WSPD10M): 5.8 kts
    Wind Speed at 20 meters (WSPD20M): 5.8 kts
    *** I just cut and pasted this** I don't know the REAL meaning... I just look at wind speed-- ( under 10 knt) wave hgt 5Ft-- no great but not horrid ***
    I love swimming
  • Are the waves coming from the WNW or moving toward the WNW? Wind directions?
  • Greg,
    Believe the swells and wind are moving from west to east. I could be wrong, but pretty sure
  • edited April 8
    Wave direction is like wind direction.
    Here the waves are coming from WNW and are going to ESE
    Oost = East
    Zuid = South
    http://openwaterswimming.eu - Cold, wind, waves, sunburn, currents, jellyfish and flotsam! Hop in and join the fun!
  • I am on the boat. He is doing great. 5 out of 5, he says.
  • evmo,
    very jealous of you.
  • edited April 8

MSF exclusive :)
  • All hail the USS Lenning!
  • Crush it, Craig, crush it!

-LBJ
    "Ordinarily he is insane, but he has lucid moments when he is only stupid." - Heinrich Heine
  • A quick estimate has him about 36% of the way done.

-LBJ
    "Ordinarily he is insane, but he has lucid moments when he is only stupid." - Heinrich Heine
  • All hail the USS Lenning!

He is also known as the "hook & boom" and "King Lenning" Whatever you call him, he is the man! @evmo please keep the updates coming, thanks.

• When does the flood start sucking him to SERC?
  • Judging by Evan's exclusive photo, Craig may be having too much fun out there. Anyway, he couldn't have asked for a better support team to keep him on-course and motivated!
  • Flood wise, it would be good to make the 12 mile buoy (lightship) by 3. Things are looking very, very good generally.
  • This is just toooooo exciting!!
    Tell him there's hot pizza at SERC...
    I love swimming
  • Hook & Boom is gonna break the 47 year old cold spell! Best have some fireworks lined up under the GGB and have him push for that light ship @evmo! He's home free once he hits that mama in conjuncture with the timing of the flood!
  • Both towers of the Bridge visible above a fog bank. Craig strong like ox, 55 spm. 16.3 statute to go, almost half way.
  • He enjoys himself.
    http://openwaterswimming.eu - Cold, wind, waves, sunburn, currents, jellyfish and flotsam! Hop in and join the fun!
  • jackie cobell says** give him my best wishes** he has a heart of gold*
    I love swimming
  • Ah...the beard. He told me last week he had to cut part of the moustache because it was directing water into his mouth and choking him when he was swimming and breathing. #manproblems
  • Past halfway now, and the tide is starting to suck him in. Last half hour was the fastest yet.
  • I think Craig is smiling...because of the warm water... showing 59f on the weather buoy 46237...almost too warm for him!!! looks like it was a good day to swim it!!!
    "I never met a shark I didn't like"
  • Craig is in good spirits, with hardly a slurred word. SR a steady 54. This next hour is critical. Less than 12 statute left. Send him your energy and love, people!
  • Go, Craig, go! Feel the San Francisco Bay calling you in!
  • Energy and love from the NEK. Go Craig.
  • Correction on some of the water temp reports going around. We were approx 54 at the islands, rising now to 58 as we approach SF.
  • Keep it going Craig! This is truly a legendary swim! All the best from the LOSTies in Oakville, Canada!
    Rob Kent
    Cheers,
    Rob
  • Strength and Honor Craig!
  • Come on Craig! We have faith! The fog is creeping in on little cat feet, you can barrel on it.
    I love swimming
  • evmo, Update? Tracking north on purpose?
  • Sending WARM wishes for a great swim from the middle of the middle - Lincoln, Nebraska. Go Craig! You got this!
    Molly Nance, Lincoln, Nebraska
    http://mollysbigswim.blogspot.com/
    www.facebook.com/molly.nance
  • edited April 8
    Is he heading in towards Stinson or is the plan to still bring him under the GGB @evmo?
  • Good luck Craig... git 'er dun.
  • He could go into Stinson/Bolinas or ride the predominant north to south current around Pt Bonita where the flood can take him in...not sure or the tide situation
    "I never met a shark I didn't like"
  • I've been watching this all day at work!!! SWIM CRAIG!!! SWIM!!!
    Though he does look a bit north-ish.

ps...I sure wish there was a scale on the map (Evan do you know if there is a way to tweak the Spot Tracker for that?)
  • We are aiming for the Headlands now. Flood did not materialize.
  • Bummer for the MIA-flood.
  • Craig rocks!
  • To be clear, I personally consider a finish on land a successful channel swim. This will be an issue FISF will need to grapple with.

Craig still has a substantial swim ahead of him to reach Muir Beach, please keep sending warm thoughts. He's been in this water 13 hrs now.
  • Flood didn't happen or is it a matter of timing? Sitting here in a comfy chair feeling inadequate. GO CRAIG!
  • This swim is better than the NCAA women's basketball game, and I'm pretty excited about the game. History being made in both sports tonight. Go Craig! Go Huskies!
  • Hugs, hugs, and more hugs to Mr. Lenning.
  • Also going along the special conformities of the federation, is he wearing a standard silicone/latex cap or is he going by the "allowed" article of neoprene which the pioneers supposedly did not don?
  • High tide at point Bonita is in about 1.5 hours.