question for St. Petersburg, FL folks about intercoastal

GarbageBargeGarbageBarge NY (Hudson Valley)Mem​ber
edited April 2014 in Locations & Networking
I'm just now looking across the intercoastal from Isla del Sol to Mud Key/Vina Del Mar and thinking it would be great to swim back and forth a couple of times. Maybe not today with the weather kicking up, but on a nice day perhaps. However, I have no local knowledge and the boat traffic gives me pause. I'm just visiting my parents for the week. Wondering if anyone on this site might know.

Thanks.

Comments

• swimchica623swimchica623 Member
    edited April 2014
    Pass-A-Grille Beach is safer and if it weren't for TBMS this weekend, you'd have a group of people to swim with.
  • caburkecaburke Charter Member
    That’s a beautiful area but not a great place to swim because of the boat traffic, especially this time of year. The water between the Pinellas Bay Way and Tierra Verde Marina is one of the busiest recreational boat channels in that area.

Go across to St. Pete Beach and swim parallel to the shore. It will be much more enjoyable and a lot safer.

If you’re in town Friday night, come to the pre-race meeting for the Tampa Bay Marathon Swim, we’d love to meet you. You can private message me if you need details.
  • GarbageBargeGarbageBarge NY (Hudson Valley)Mem​ber
    Thanks for the feedback caburke & swimchica623. I also checked in with Ron Collins and he said the same thing. It was just so tempting to walk out of the condo and swim a couple of miles. Wish I could have stayed for the Tampa Bay, but I had to fly out Friday. I did get to the North Shore Pool though.