A season of swim caps

SuirThingSuirThing Carrick-on-Suir, IrelandMember
edited May 2014 in General Discussion
[img][/img]swimhats14.jpg

Caps from some of the swims which I took part in last year .... I've been meaning to post this for a while!

Pink one in the centre is from Lough Dan 10k, I guess they decided 10kers are tough enough to wear pink, but I haven't worn it since tbh!

The triathlon one on the bottom is not from a triathlon at all, but from Escape from Spike Island, where you get a recycled hat, which is kind of cool. The rest are self-explanatory. We don't give out hats at the Barry McCarthy Memorial Swim here in Carrick. There are two schools of thought. We all have loads of hats that we'll never wear again, but they are a nice memento to look back on ....

I tried to convince myself, but, orange flavour electrolyte, mixed with hot chocolate,
tastes nothing like Terry's Chocolate Orange ....

Comments

• Kind of remind me of race bibs from road races. Nice to look at, but not going to use them again! Pretty cool Can't wait to start a similar collection.

Excellence is born of preparation, dedication, focus and tenacity; compromise on any of these and you become average.

• suziedodssuziedods Mem​ber
    @suirthing.. I don't see any Alcatraz caps.. :)
  • SuirThingSuirThing Carrick-on-Suir, IrelandMember
    suziedods wrote:
    @suirthing.. I don't see any Alcatraz caps.. :)

it's more the 5000 mile flight rather than the 1.5 mile swim that's at issue there .... :)

on my "to-do" list though

I tried to convince myself, but, orange flavour electrolyte, mixed with hot chocolate,

• SuirThingSuirThing Carrick-on-Suir, IrelandMember
    [img][/img]hats14.jpg

2014 edition ....

On the bottom, my red Sandycove Island Swim Club cap. Worn for all OW training, a great hat to STAY ON!!

Above that there is a pink hat from Dungarvan triathlon where I swam as part of a relay (we won!), next to a yellow Carrick-on-Suir triathlon hat. I didn't actually compete here, I was a volunteer marshal, but I stuck it in for two reasons: 1. same swim course as the Barry McCarthy Memorial Swim which I co-promote and 2. there'd be no swims without volunteers.

The middle row consists of hats representing three river swims. On the left the Martin Duggan Memorial Swim which takes place in the river Blackwater, and promoted by @owenswims93. On the right is one of my favourite swims of the year, the Lee Swim, which this year had over 500 entrants. In the centre is the Liffey Swim, which was a big target for me this year as I had never taken part in it before. The Liffey swim takes place in our capitol city (Dublin) and this year was the 95th edition. One must complete four swims on the Leinster Open Sea calendar to qualify to take part in the Liffey, but it was well worth the effort and I'll definitely be back.

Above these on the left is the Dun Laoighre Harbour Swim which took place in very rough seas with a high percentage of DNFs, I consider it to have been a coming-of-age swim for me in relation to dealing with challenging conditions. On the right is the Helvick Swim which is the highlight of the year for my Dungarvan swimming friends and it is a great social event locally. (I work in Dungarvan).

Top of the pile, with pride of place, is not a swim cap at all, but a "beanie" hat which was given to everyone who completed all three swims (5 miles, 3miles, 1 mile) of the Copper Coast Champion of Champions organised by @ColmBreathnach in Boatstrand. This was my biggest swimming achievement to date and I wear this hat with pride.

Anyone else want to stick up their collection?
    JBirrrdIronMike