Anthony McCarley, feeling old and proud...

DanSimonelliDanSimonelli San Diego CASenior Member
edited July 2014 in General Discussion
Anthony has just sucessfully crossed Catalina Channel to complete his Triple Crown, and the oldest to do so within one year!
Tagged:

Comments

• gregocgregoc Charter Member
    Congratulations Anthony. I am so glad you have been allowed to swim after the C3.
  • AnthonyMcCarleyAnthonyMcCarley Berwyn, PACharter Member
    edited July 2014
    Dan, Thank you for doing a great job as kayaker yesterday. Your help is more appreciated than I can express.

Greg, Me too! She still isn't over it... not really a surprise that she isn't.
    I just found out:
    James Penrose is a 61-year-old open water swimmer who achieved the Triple Crown of Open Water Swimming in a little over 10 months from start to finish, one of the briefest periods ever for the achievement of the Triple Crown of Open Water Swimming.

I am 54, so am not the oldest to do it in less than 12 months (11 months, 6 days)... can I still be happy?
  • caburkecaburke Charter Member
    Congratulations Anthony! What a great come-back accomplishment. You may be the best thing to come off the Main Line since Berwyn Pizza!
  • DanSimonelliDanSimonelli San Diego CASenior Member
    edited July 2014
    Apologies and respect to James Penrose!
    Didn't mean to jump the gun.
    Just wanted to surprise you with the post here among all your friends!

Still proud of you, my friend...even though your "old" was not old enough!
    Update: Another Forum Member, Frnkdeb, completed Catalina today.
  • Hi Anthony- Congratulations again to you. I am in awe of your completing the Triple Crown in such a short period of time. Amazing.

It was great seeing you at the dock two nights in a row and it was very helpful to hear about your swim so close to mine.

Great press too. The older and slower comment hurt a little but if the shoe fits...
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited July 2014
  • SydneDSydneD Senior Member
    Congratulations! We don't know each other but this morning at practice, one of my lane mates asked if I knew you. John Nunnelly and I have been swimming together for years.

Okay, truth be told, I swim in the same lane with him and just try not to get lapped. :)

Again, congratulations and hope to meet in person someday.
    SydneD,
    Thank you for the kind words.

I could be mistaken, but didn’t we meet at Cape May/ C3?

Amazingly small world. I haven’t swam with John in about 20 years. For me, swimming with him was quite humbling.
  • SydneDSydneD Senior Member
    Oh my goodness! You are so right! No wonder your name was so familiar when John and I were talking about you. Clearly, I spent that entire weekend with water on the brain. ;)

And yes--swimming with John is always humbling. I swim in a lane with him, and a collection of men in their early 20s who all swam in college. I'm the only woman and I didn't learn to swim until I was 26 so it's constantly challenging and inspiring. And really, really hard. :)
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    Anthony is more than halfway across the Santa Barbara Channel from Anacapa Island:

http://santabarbarachannelswim.org/tracking2.html

This is Anthony's fifth major swim this year, after his St Thomas-St John triple, MIMS, Catalina, and Three Rivers in Pittburgh.

C'mon, Anthony!
    gregocZoeSadlerJBirrrdIronMikeDanSimonelli[Deleted User]
  • DanSimonelliDanSimonelli San Diego CASenior Member
    Old Guys Rule! =D>
    [Deleted User]JBirrrd