[Resources] Forum Members Locations Custom Google Map - add your location and swim pods

loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
edited October 2013 in Resources
This discussion was created from comments split from: The Forum Feedback Thread.

loneswimmer.com

Tagged:

Comments

• mjstaplesmjstaples Atlanta, GA, USSenior Member
    Is there a way to find members in your area (i.e. training areas/ partners)without having to start a new thread?
  • mjstaplesmjstaples Atlanta, GA, USSenior Member
    Thanks niek! Lol Im using the mobile site only so I'm still trying to figure out how things work. And lat/long aside, I'm really trying to find swimmers anywhere in ga. Seems to be very few.
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    @Niek, if we can create a Google map by putting our Lat/Long in our profile (how do we do that? create the map I mean), why can't we create a map with just a city, state (for U.S.)???

I'm with you @mjstaples, I'd love to find others here to swim with.

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
    edited October 2017

You can put a marker for your location, if you so desire. You can just use your forum name, no need to add your real name if you don't want to. I just marked my most common swimming location.

loneswimmer.com

@loneswimmer, apologies for my computer ignorance, but I tried to add my location, but the map says I am in "view only." Please advise.

My booboo. Had it set to View mode. Try it now.

loneswimmer.com

• Nice idea. Makes me feel close to you @loneswimmer haha. I'm surprised nobody has set up a garmin group as well.
    edited October 2013
    Can we come to a consensus on this map. Perhaps swim pods use that red tear drop looking thingy, then swimmers use something different? Whatcha think?

I'll bump this for a few days so other members can see it. At some point I'll have to close to general editing and require members to PM me for an editing link.

loneswimmer.com

And then perhaps put it on the MSF home page? Or a link for the map somewhere else?

I feel so lonely here in the (American) nation's capital!

• sylmarinosylmarino San FranciscoMember
    Careful @IronMike or we will all come and visit you at once!
    dpm50
  • molly1205molly1205 Lincoln, NebraskaSenior Member
    @IronMike - look at me. The lonely soul in the landlocked Midwest!

Molly Nance, Lincoln, Nebraska

• JBirrrdJBirrrd MarylandSenior Member
    Well that was fun. @IronMike, You now have company. :-) Come join us over @ ABC some weekend.
    Daily bump. It's coming along nicely. Come on UK, mainland Europe and Oceania.

loneswimmer.com

• emkhowleyemkhowley Boston, MACharter Member
    What an awesome resource! Thanks for setting this up @loneswimmer. I now know what I'll be checking first the next time I need to travel for work.

Stop me if you've heard this one...
    A grasshopper walks into a bar...
    https://elainekhowley.com/

• SuirThingSuirThing Carrick-on-Suir, IrelandMember
    @loneswimmer
    can you please change "Dungarvan Sea Swimmers" to a "pod" marker, I'm not sure how that's done ....

I tried to convince myself, but, orange flavour electrolyte, mixed with hot chocolate,
    tastes nothing like Terry's Chocolate Orange ....

• LynnkubLynnkub Charter Mem​ber
    Could "OAK STREET!!! swimmers" and "Shaw's Cove" be changed to "pod" markers as well. I made them FISH markers so should be easy to find! :-)
    @Lynnkub...done. @SuirThing, someone already did it.

I thought for those of us more affected by a bigger tidal range it's funny that you know you can go swimming at the same time every week. Since Sandycove has 4 metre tides and swim times change constantly because of that I've added a note to that marker to visitors to check the Sandycove website for the schedule. If anyone else has the same variability they can add something.

Dover is always 9am during season regardless of the even bigger tides as I'm sure most of you know.

Nice to see the increase over the last few days I was offline. Let's keep it going so.

loneswimmer.com

Can someone either tell me what P2P and Point63 are, which are in the swimmer section, or edit or delete them? Cheers.

Also, can you add @forum member designation to your own destination when adding? It makes it easier for us to tell what is a swimmer and what is a location if one is incorrectly added to the wrong section.

To add a location, click first on the Swim Pod Location title in the left-hand sidebar. Then choose the marker location on the map. Swim pod locations will have have a more vivid colour with a letter designation. A red marker will indicate you have chosen the Swimmer marker.

loneswimmer.com

Let's @loneswimmer for getting this off the ground!

edited October 2013
    Let's thank Google for the service more like!

I removed PtoP swim as it's neither a swimmer nor a pod.

It is relevant though as we can add as many layers to the map as necessary and I was planning to add more layers in future which could include <5k, 5k to 10k, 10 to 20K & >20k. We could have a layer per distance or range, so you can look for your preferred distance.

But I want to get swimmers and pods going a bit better first.

loneswimmer.com

Time for a 2014 bump. The sidebar becomes invisible after you've seen it for a while.

loneswimmer.com

• sharkbaitzasharkbaitza LondonMember
    edited January 2014
    hmmm... can't seem to add myself... is it locked or is there an error between the chair and the keyboard (me)

edit: yup it was me :) ... added
  • SwimUpStreamSwimUpStream Portland Oregon Member
    Is there a way locate official observers? I have a 2014 swim in the works in the Pacific Northwest. I would like to follow the Rules of Marathon Swimming and am looking for a qualified observer or 2 (since it could be over 17 hours).
    @cwerhane, somewhere on the main MSF page is something about observers. Not sure if it is just observer sign up or not.

Start of summer thread bump.

loneswimmer.com

It's been a long time since I bumped this, and the forum has a lot more members.

The map is viewable only here .

So if you want to add your location (not required, this map is for fun), please PM or email me and I'll send you the link for you to edit and add your location.

Copelj26dpm50TMcQueen

loneswimmer.com

• TMcQueenTMcQueen Belton, TXMember

@loneswimmer - Please add my location Belton Lake (31.1972289,-97.5913226) in Killeen/Temple/Fort Hood, Texas to the Custom Google Map. As far as I can tell, I am the only swimmer here, and it is very lonely.

• FlowSwimmersFlowSwimmers Polson, MontanaMember

@loneswimmer Is this map still available? I've requested access through my Google account but have not gotten a response. THANKS!