Marathon Swimming in Vietnam?

AquaRobAquaRob Humboldt Bay, CACharter Member
edited March 2013 in Locations & Networking
Any established routes or good ideas? I went to a study abroad recruiting session at my college yesterday and it put me into south east Asian daydream mode. The likeliness of me actually getting over there is small, but I'd like to know if there's an open water scene there just in case :)

Comments

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    I'll ask my wife's ex-boyfriend, who lives in Vietnam (he's a former Vietnamese linguist).

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• AquaRobAquaRob Humboldt Bay, CACharter Member
    Rad, thanks Mike! DLIers for the win! :)
  • dc_in_sfdc_in_sf San FranciscoCharter Member
    I have to say Halong Bay looks like it would be stunning to swim in...

http://notdrowningswimming.com - open water adventures of a very ordinary swimmer

• molly1205molly1205 Lincoln, NebraskaSenior Member
    My husband and I spent our 20th anniversary in Vietnam. Halong Bay is one of the most beautiful places on earth, but there is a lot of boat traffic. I'd recommend a junk boat trip, but maybe not a marathon swim.

Molly Nance, Lincoln, Nebraska

• marlinmarlin Member
    I'm pretty sure the Asian Beach Games will be in Vietnam (for 2015?) and feature an open water race.
  • SydneDSydneD Senior Member
    You do not want to swim in Halong Bay. It's stunning, but dirty and polluted and you would be pushing the garbage out of the way as you swam.
    What about something near Hoi An?
  • edited July 2014
    The Games held in Muscat, Oman in 2010, Haiyang, China in 2012, Phuket, Thailand in 2014 and scheduled for Nha Trang, Vietnam in 2016 with 5 and 10k OW races.