2012 Munster OW Calendar (incl. Sandycove Island Challenge!)

mrfinbarrmrfinbarr Charter Member
edited June 2012 in Event Announcements
Hey folks;

for those of you who are interested the 2012 Munster Open Water Swim/Race Schedule for 2012 is now available online: Here This Calendar includes the world famous Sandycove Island Challenge and many other great swims along the fascinating South Coast of Ireland. If you're interested in attenidng any of the swims and are from overseas & looking for advise feel free to post here or message me on Facebook or Twitter (I'm mrfinbarr on both of those as well)
Tagged:

Comments

• loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
    mrfinbarr & I can personally recommend many of these swims for outstanding beauty, cold water and craic. If you don't know what craic is, you really need to swim some of them.

The Speckled Door, favourite of training Channel swimmers as are multiple Sandycove laps. Beginish is one of my favourites, last year went to the alternative course of 7.5 very very tough kilometres. The party is becoming legendary. Ballycotton k looks short but last year saw some experienced OW swimmers (I'm not saying who, cough cough) take a bad line and end up at the end of the field. The two runnings of this race have made it a new classic.

Cork to Cobh has been a very very tough race. Sandycove itself is a classic, the best race in the country.

Plan your holidays accordingly!

loneswimmer.com

• Leonard_JansenLeonard_Jansen Charter Member
    OMG, there's a race at the Skellig Islands!!!!!! I have wanted to go there just slightly more than I want world peace. I think I just found the place to take the Ukrainian Love Goddess (a.k.a. She Who Must Be Obeyed, a.k.a. The Court Without Appeal) for our 30th wedding anniversary in 2014 and if the trip just "happens" to coincide with the swim, what a coincidence... Have you done that race? Details?

I don't think anyone in my family has been back to Ireland since my ancestors (Brautigans and O'Branaughs) had to leave County Clair 140 years ago because they were going to be strung up for stealing horses. (True story) Hopefully, the statute of limitations is up...

-LBJ

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

@Leonard, The Skellig swim hasn't been organisd previously (well it was, but weather stopped it). Being 12 miles out into the Atlantic, the Skelligs are often exposed to big swells. One Sandycove swimmer has swim Skellig to Portmagee in 2008 (I wasn't going to do it the same year, but he had first shot at it, & I had a EC relay later).

The Skelligs are, bar none, my favourite place in the world. I have swum out there once, visited many times and it's both a scary and extraordinary place.

(And it's County...Clare!)

loneswimmer.com

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    Escape from Spike Island sounds great. I've added that to my Prisons Swims as suggested by someone (Donal?) in my thread about themed swims.

Now, you guys don't require wetsuits like the Brits do, do you?

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

Nope, we have an open approach to rubber, it's up the person swimming. By allowing it we encourage more swimmers to start in cold water and the number of local successful marathon swimmers later encourages the same people to start thinking about losing the rubber.

loneswimmer.com