Marathon Swim Group in Los Angeles area

CoachVCoachV Member
edited May 2012 in Locations & Networking
Hi I'm new to marathon swimming in the Los Angeles area and I'm looking to find a group of swimmers to train with for 5k, 10k and 25k distances & night swims. The only groups I know of are triathletes and short distance ow swimmers training for under 5k distances.

Comments

• CoachVCoachV Member
    Anyone else training for long swims and live in Los Angeles?
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    Isn't Gerry Rodriguez's group down there? Tower 26 or something like that? Or is that the triathlete group you're talking about?

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• mmeadmmead Charter Member
    Hi CoachV,

Shoot me an email at mallory.mead@hotmail.com with an estimation of your pace/100m. Unfortunately LA doesn't have a really established training group (other than the triathletes, as you noticed) so its all by word of mouth. I'll put some feelers out and see what I can come up with for you.

M
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    If all else fails, you could just try showing up in Manhattan Beach or Malibu (or anywhere it seems likely people would swim) around 6am or 5pm weekdays, or mid-late morning weekends (again - whenever it seems likely people would swim). I've met a lot of people this way, in various locations.
  • Hey CoachV,
    I'm also new to marathon swimming and will be attempting my first 10k in August. I've put my program together by swimming with UCLA Masters, which has 2-3 coached workouts daily (except Sundays). Saturdays are 2 x 1:15 workouts LCM. That gives me 2.5 hours on Saturday (7-8k) and like IronMike suggested, I join Tower 26 for coached ocean swims 90-120 minutes every Wednesday morning. There are a number of UCLA Master Swimmers who do open water races, a subset of whom do marathon distances races. I throw in some speed work with the UCLA Tri Team and I think I've got a program that will get me there.

You're welcome to check us out: http://www.recreation.ucla.edu/insidepage.aspx?uid=5faba9cb-982a-4e57-b00c-8c81a881ac15
  • I'm new to this game and to this forum (thanks Evan). Live in Studio City and swim at the Van Nuys pool, looking for groups to go out with.

Are any of the groups mentioned above still going? Anyone have any other groups they could direct me to.

Thanks all, Kristian
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    Hey @ottestad - welcome.

Are you training for something specific, or is this just for fun? In addition to my advice earlier in this thread, I'd suggest joining a group such as Tower 26 (http://www.tower26.com) or a local USMS team. Then you can find other people with similar goals/schedule/speed and form a pod for OW swimming.

There's also this issue:

http://marathonswimmers.org/forum/discussion/514/swim-at-la-county-beaches-get-a-permit-

Not sure how much it's been enforced...
  • I'm back on the forum, thanks for the help with that. Have reached out to Tower 26 as its exactly what I'm looking for.

My first goal is basically to swim 10 miles and be able to take part in races. I am honestly not in it to compete, as I just want people to swim with. My real long term goal is to go very far. It remains to be seen if I'm up for my own challenges over time.

cheers
    K
  • marlinmarlin Member
    edited September 2015

Since your initial post which I realize was quite a while ago, there is now a "Santa Monica Open Water Meet up", another good resource.

• dc_in_sfdc_in_sf San FranciscoCharter Member

Bumping this, just curious if there are any organized groups in the Manhattan/Hermosa/Redondo beach area?

My mother in law is a block from Redondo beach pier so have been doing a bunch of swimming at Redondo by myself, be nice to hook up with a group on some of my trips down here.

http://notdrowningswimming.com - open water adventures of a very ordinary swimmer

• I'm a triple crown swimmer who lives in the Manhattan/Hermosa Beach area. I do alot of my training alone between the Manhattan and hermosa piers or just south of the redondo beach pier. I'd love to meet up with some swimmers in the area to start some weekly group swims. I'm a new dad and my wife doesnt want me swimming alone anymore. Unfortunately I also now have very little free time. I would love to find some like minded swimmers to go out and swim alittle with.

It would be nice if we can get a regular group of marathon swimmers to meet every weekend at the same time like they do over in Dover for the English Channel. That way people can just show up and know there will be other swimmers to join up with. Something like very saturday 8am at the Redondo pier would be easy if we can get a group.

dc_in_sfIronMikeSwimavatar
  • I am training for a Catalina solo crossing on August 26. I generally swim with a group of four or so open water swimmers at a Tower 26 (west of Ocean Park Bl in Santa Monica) from 7-9 am. We tend to swim laps between Tower 26 and the breakwater about 2.6 km south. We schedule other swims on that course when possible and I am increasing the distance between now and the attempt. Please reach out to me if you're interested in joining this group or would like to do some ocean swimming in the Santa Monica area. ladagene@netscape.net Thank you.

dc_in_sf