Oceans Seven swims / swimmers

evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
edited September 2017 in Cheering Section
This thread is for discussion of swimmers attempting/achieving the Oceans Seven series of marathon swims.
Tagged:

Comments

• loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
    edited July 2012
    FYI all, Stephen is leaving for Japan on Saturday, hoping to tackle Tsugaru next week to complete the Ocean's 7.

He is on Twitter, though knowing that he only tweets about once every 6 weeks, it's not a great communication tool to get him.

His blog/website is Oceans7.org. You'll find a great interview with Steve @Munatones about Tsugaru on it. Check out Steve M.'s training. I seem to recall Steve M. telling by email that during his early morning swims he'd only have one light on so he because expert at night swimming!

(We should start a thread on night swimming btw, I bloody love it).

Most of Stephen's updates go through Noel in Ballydehob, Cork to Facebook and Sandycove Island Swim Club chairman Liz, who tells me, so any updates I have I'll tweet, blog and/or drop here.

My last email from Stephen (Redmond) last weekend shows the struggle of all the training, fundraising and stress. But he is as everyone now realises, extremely tough, our ultimate compliment, I think. The party in Ballydehob should be spectacular.

loneswimmer.com

• timsroottimsroot Spring, TXCharter Member
    I was wondering when he was going to make an attempt. Would be cool to have someone be the first to complete the oceans seven.
  • MunatonesMunatones Charter Member
    He is about over the Polar Cap about now.

Steven Munatones
    www.worldopenwaterswimmingassociation.com
    Huntington Beach, California, U.S.A.

• MunatonesMunatones Charter Member
    FYI - when magazine editors cover the Oceans Seven, that is its proper spelling. They tend to be sticklers on proper spelling and punctuation and all the stuff we learned when we were young.

Steven Munatones
    www.worldopenwaterswimmingassociation.com
    Huntington Beach, California, U.S.A.

edited June 2012
    Munatones wrote:
    He is about over the Polar Cap about now.

Getting excited to see someone complete the whole thing.
    edited June 2012
    Steve Redmond's tracker:

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0Pq45dlefLb8tXP133Oa66WlB4UtnplaP

He is due to start tonight approx 9 pm GMT

loneswimmer.com

His spot doesn't look like it has updated in a while. Did he get pulled?
    Bad weather, out after 3 hours, another go tomorrow with better weather, hopefully.

loneswimmer.com

Steve is due to head back out at 9PM GMT tonight (Sun 17th).

loneswimmer.com

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    So, for crossing that channel (strait?), does one swim from the east to the west? I'm trying to figure out what direction he's swimming by the spot tracker (zoomed way out). What's the 'typical' route for that swim?

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• WalterWalter Southern CaliforniaMember
    edited June 2012
    Don't know if it's typical, but he started from the East side. According to a facebook page dedicated to his effort, he was caught in a current.

Here is a link to the page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Steve-Redmonds-Oceans-7-Swim-Challenge/164815306903048. I don't think you need to log on to facebook to see it.

I'm not very popular around here; but I've heard that I'm huge in Edinburgh!

Unfortunately Steve was pulled after 10am GMT, if you've seen his tracker you'll have seen he literally went in a circle with the current. I'm not certain but I think the forecast is bad for the next few days so I don't know if he'll take another shot at it. If it was anyone else, (except Lisa Cummins) they'd need a rest, but Steve is so strong mentally, but he may not get a chance.

And there are of course the financial implications.

loneswimmer.com

• smithsmith Huntsville, AlabamaSenior Member
    Unfortunately Steve was pulled after 10am GMT, if you've seen his tracker you'll have seen he literally went in a circle with the current. I'm not certain but I think the forecast is bad for the next few days so I don't know if he'll take another shot at it. If it was anyone else, (except Lisa Cummins) they'd need a rest, but Steve is so strong mentally, but he may not get a chance.

And there are of course the financial implications.

Thanks for the updates and keep us posted. If the financial component isn't too steep, It would be great if he could get several days rest and give it one more try if the weather cooperates.

Keep moving forward.

He's coming home and thanks to the bad weather delayed by the typhoon that's hit Japan. We'll give them a while to regroup and decide their strategy.

loneswimmer.com

Word is that Stephen might get to go out again in next two days. We're all behind him!

loneswimmer.com

Steve completed Tsugaru in 12h 45, completing Oceans 7, within the last 30 minutes.

We are astonished, proud and humbled by his toughness and determination

loneswimmer.com

• david_barradavid_barra NYCharter Member
    Great ending to a frustrating month for Stephan! (shark brains sound delicious)

...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

Incredible

Got home from Dover this morning, meeting him off the plane this evening,probably with thousands of others this time, last time there less than 50 of us. this is how it should be. Coverage in Ireland is justifiably pretty great.

loneswimmer.com

• heartheart San Francisco, CACharter Member
    Well done, Stephen! Incredible!
    edited September 2017
    Anna-Carin Nordin just finished the North Channel, the last of her O7 swims.

I'm away to observe a swim so I just got a text. No other info as yet. Congrats to Anna though!

loneswimmer.com

On FB. I think it said she did it in 14:21.

• oxooxo Guest
    edited July 2013
    good on ya Anna.
  • A perfect day for a North Channel attempt. I'm sure she was plagued with jellyfish. Well done!
  • Leonard_JansenLeonard_Jansen Charter Member
    Niek wrote:
    Bra gjort Anna. Och vad är fortfarande på din önskelista?

Anna -

What he said.

-LBJ

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

• JBirrrdJBirrrd MarylandSenior Member
    edited July 2013
    Niek wrote:
    Bra gjort Anna. Och vad är fortfarande på din önskelista?

~~~Good job Anna! And what's next on your wish list? ~~~

Jag tycker det är jätte kul att # 2 var en kvinna ... och svenska på det!
    Yay Anna! You go girl:-)
    edited September 2017
    Michelle Macy set a new North Channel record today of 9h37m with pilot Quinton Nelson, beating the previous venerable record held by Queen of the Channel Ali Streeter by about 15 minutes, and completing the Oceans Seven in style. (If I'm not mistaken it was her second attempt).

As Steve Redmond said recently, the North Channel book is being thrown out this year.

loneswimmer.com

Wow! Good for her.

• MikeHMikeH Member
    Fantastic swim!
  • oxooxo Guest
    Congrats on the Mouth of Hell record, and the O7 !
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited September 2017

With Antonio Argüelles recently becoming the 7th finisher of the O7, there are now seven individuals knocking on the door, with just one swim remaining:

http://longswims.com/oceans-seven

IronMikeJaimieForeverSwim
  • BogdanZBogdanZ Bucharest, RomaniaSenior Member

apparently there's a 13th swimmer. post

• JustSwimJustSwim Senior Member
    edited December 2018

Thomas Pembroke

thelittlemerwookie