2012 Kingdom Swim

evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
edited March 2012 in Cheering Section
Seems like quite a few Forum members will be in Newport, Vermont this July for the Kingdom Swim.

Who's gonna be there?? I'm entered in the 10-mile, but still not 100% on making the trek out from CA.

Let this be the official discussion thread for the Kingdom Swimmers among us. If you have any fun pics from previous years, feel free to share them here.

Comments

• GarbageBargeGarbageBarge NY (Hudson Valley)Mem​ber
    Registered for the 10 mile.
  • FrancoFranco Chestertown, MDCharter Member
    I don't think I can make it this year but it is a great event you should do at least once. I have enjoyed it the last two years. It is a great part of the country and the lake is beautiful. Well organized for its size. Fly into Manchester, NH and it is a scenic drive all of the way to Newport.
  • AquaRobAquaRob Humboldt Bay, CACharter Member
    I too have an entry to the Kingdom Swim this year for the 10 miler but I don't think I can make it to Vermont this year (again) so that entry is probably just going to turn into a donation eventually here.
  • I swam my first 10 mile there last year after getting swimming the 3 mile the first two years. The town of Newport runs a campground right at the beach. We have gone up with my paddler's family and made a great weekend out of it. Last year Lake Memphremagog lived up to it big lake reputation with rough conditions. It is a great event.
  • ChickenOSeaChickenOSea Charter Member
    Not sure yet....
  • JanetJanet New York, NYMember
    I'm signed up for the 10-miler too.
  • njoynjoy Member
    edited March 2012
    I'm doing the 10 miler. I did it last year; this is a fun event. The coordinators make it a community affair. There is a goofy parade (see photo) and big pasta dinner the night before. It's a beautiful area, and I'm looking forward to heading up there again.image
  • rxleakemrxleakem Southwestern Vermont, USAMember
    I have entered the 10mile swim this year, and looking forward to checking out an area of my home state that I have never been to. My yaker from Maine is making the trip to join in the festivities, too.

<))><

• FilFil Derby, VTCharter Member
    We're very excited to be welcoming so many of you from all over the country. In addition to the swim on Saturday, we have an all new kayak festival on Friday for the Yakers. www.kingdomkayak.org In any event, to those of you who are coming, we hope you can make the Pet and Swimmers Parade on Friday evening. It's a wonderful moment of pure celebration. And, thank you Evan and Donal for setting up this wonderful site.
  • Would anyone care to post any information for someone that has never done the swim before. my longest previous swim was 8 miles at the Lake Champlain swim last year. how is the underwater visibility of lake. Is it typically rough water or relatively calm ?Tks!
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    @Chlake1, can you send info on the Lake Champlain swim? (Better yet, start a new thread about Champlain!) Everywhere I search, I can't find anything for one in 2012 or 2013. I'd love to swim it.

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• FilFil Derby, VTCharter Member
    IronMike - The Champlain Swim is on August 25th this year. You can find info and registration forms at the Burlington YMCA's web site: http://www.gbymca.org/LakeSwim
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    Awesome, thanks. Will put it on my list for 2013. Looks like there's no minimum to raise, which is good.

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• timsroottimsroot Spring, TXCharter Member
    I wish I could make it, but I have to be at a wedding in Missouri the day before. Maybe 2013.
  • KNicholasKNicholas ArizonaCharter Member
    Looking forward to the Kingdom 10 miler. The frequent emails from Phil are very amusing. Any tips on lodging near the lake are welcome.
  • FrancoFranco Chestertown, MDCharter Member
    I have stayed at the Newport City Motel which is convenient to everything. It is nothing fancy but it has met my needs the last few years. It usually sells out in the summer so I would recommend booking early. I believe Phil gets us a swimmer rate so mention when making reservation. It is pretty reasonable.
    http://www.vermonter.com/ncm/
  • Signed up for the 10 miler! :)
  • JBirrrdJBirrrd MarylandSenior Member
    First time 10 miler! Coming from MD with a bunch of crabby friends.
  • Iron mike. Skip the pasta dinner the night before and find a place in Burlington. It's a very no frills swim. No t shirt , no nuttin. :) I was not very impressed at all and the conditions were horrible and once back one shore, with not a bad time at all, the place was vacant and no food left. I know in my heart that Newport will make it all better. :)
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited April 2012
    Chlake1 wrote:
    Skip the pasta dinner the night before and find a place in Burlington.
    Presumably the reason most people attend the pasta dinner is not the pasta.
  • To each their own, I personally would never return for numerous reasons. And I am very easy to please. Just ask my gf! :)
  • I assume you're talking about the YMCA Lake Chaplain Swim. Kingdom Swim has always been a great time for me.
  • rosemarymintrosemarymint Charleston, SCCharter Member
    I'm in for my first 10-miler. So excited! I'll be camping, adding a whole 'nother element of adventure to the weekend.
    Will we receive a cap to wear, or can we choose our own?

<))><

• You will get a cap with your number and a corresponding numbered bib for your kayaker.
  • SwimalisonSwimalison Delaware Member
    SWIM IT!!! I did the 6 mile last year (first place, both divisions of women and men! whoop) My favorite lake in the US to swim in. It's heavenly there....
  • jroyerjroyer Member
    I'm in for 10 miles and looking forward to it.
  • In for the 3-miler, and looking forward to getting to know some of the 10-milers as they swim over me at the end (Hi, Janet!).
    Did a triple in my favorite lake today, L Michigan, in preparation. There was general agreement, on this record-setting, 93-degree Memorial Day (Chicago), that a water temp of 65 or 66 was simply too warm. Sure felt good, though! :) :)
  • After TS Irene whacked our state, town and home last August swimming fell off my radar as we worked to bring our family back home and restore our house to its pre-flood condition. It was a long fall and winter of recovering from that disaster, now our house is better than ever. The last few months I have been getting back at swimming more and more as the stress and fatigue of being an uninsured flood victim has faded. I just signed up for the 6 mile Kingdom Swim. I feel like I have discovered yet another level of recovery from the disaster that we faced with our friends and neighbors. Kingdom Swim has become a big part of my annual routine, I would have been loathe to miss it. I am very happy to be back lake swimming, see you all in Newport.
  • RickSRickS Member
    This weekend I completed 6 miles at Son of a Swim. I'll be back for 10 in less than three weeks now that I'm officially qualified. See you there.
    Also big thanks to Phil for setting it all up
  • GarbageBargeGarbageBarge NY (Hudson Valley)Mem​ber
    Thanks, Phil & your IROC crew. Great event. My yakker, from Team Tom, wants to return and represent Spain in the 1 mile next year. He's not a swimmer, but he got the bug at Kingdom Swim. I'll train him up.
  • BillBill Member
    Agree, fantastic event and extremely well run. I did the 10 mile as my first venture into this open water stuff and think I'll keep it up. A question for you more seasoned vets out there who did the race... How did this race compare to other ones you've done, re: conditions. I found the waves pretty rough between miles 5-9 and was wondering if this is typical or not of other races, crossings, etc.
  • RickSRickS Member

Bill wrote:
    ...I found the waves pretty rough between miles 5-9 and was wondering if this is typical or not of other races, crossings, etc.

From what I heard, as well as comparing the finishing times, this was not as bad as last year. But I still find your understated comment to be funny.

On the other hand my open water swimming career started on Memorial day and the only comparable swim I've done was the Son of a Swim as a qualifier.

I share in giving thanks for a great swim - many folks helped out to not only run the event, but also those that came out to kayak and provide food. Those waves only added to the challenge. Looking forward to join in this swim again next year >:D<

<))><

• Agreed, another great swim in Lake Memphramagog. Last year the waves were nearly the same, just more sustained. This year the wind/waves picked up and let down more as the day progressed, but, not as bad at the beginning. I think it was colder last year as well. Looking forward to next year, thanks Fil.
  • JanetJanet New York, NYMember
    It was a great event, and I was just blown away by how spectacular that area is. It was also touching to see how involved in the swim the whole community was--it seemed like everywhere I went I ran into folks who were kayaking, or otherwise helping out, or who had kids swimming in the shorter races. Very sweet, and made me feel proud to be a part of it all.
  • KNicholasKNicholas ArizonaCharter Member
    Highly recommend this event for the whole family. It is a gorgeous place to swim and appears to be underdeveloped around the lake making the scenery a nice escape. Many distances to choose from and very well organized. It was really nice to visit with swimmers from all over who seem to bounce around together from event to event. Highly recommend a quick trip to Montreal for the Festival International de Jazz de Montreal - so entertaining had to stay the night. For me the highlight is seeing the young kids swim out around a buoy. There are so many good swims around the country but this is next to the top on my list.