Drug testing

KarenTKarenT Charter Member
edited April 2013 in General Discussion
I'm currently working on a chapter of my swimming book on the debates around what counts as 'authentic' marathon swimming. But I have a purely informational question - are there any cases that anyone is aware of of drug testing in marathon swimming? I'm thinking about the long solo swims here rather than races on the professional circuit - for example, after a record-breaking swim? Both the CSA and CS&PF have the possibility of random drug testing in their rules, and the CCSF and SBCSA have rules prohibiting drugs but no mention of testing (as far as I can see). My assumption is that testing isn't used, and certainly not with any regularity, but then again, I wouldn't necessarily know....and given the speed that I swim at, I'm a very unlikely suspect for enhancement drugs.

Please be clear that I'm not suggestion that anyone, including current record holders, should have been tested - just curious about procedure.
Tagged:

Comments

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    This is truly a landmark day in our sport!
  • smithsmith Huntsville, AlabamaSenior Member
    Regarding the news on Steven's site, this is a good start. Nonetheless, I am always skeptical when the drug testing organizations make these types of announcements. Why? Armstrong was a facile liar and perhaps the biggest drug cheat in sports history, but he beat the tests all along. What's more, he hasn't given full disclosure regarding how he beat the tests, many of which occurred during competition. Until that is done in totality, the drug testing organizations are operating behind the curve and will only capture a woeful percentage of nefarious folks.

Keep moving forward.

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    When I first read @evmo's post on blog, I thought: Dammit! I just figured out how to pee while swimming. Now I have to hold some in at the end? Then I remembered the day and whose blog I was reading!!!

Good one.

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• lakespraylakespray Senior Member
    We be a day late for an April Fools joke? ;-)
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    It was an April fools joke, and I think Steve knows this by now, but he nonetheless raises some important questions. Seriously.
  • david_barradavid_barra NYCharter Member
    evmo wrote:
    It was an April fools joke, and I think Steve knows this by now, but he nonetheless raises some important questions. Seriously.

I think certain folks are automatically "re-blogged" and "re-tweeted" by Steve... whether he is in on the joke or not.

I would recommend samples be taken pre-splash, as I'm pretty sure I'm pissing nearly pure perpetuem by the end....

...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

Joking or not, as long as I'm still allowed my favorite post-race vodka shots, I'm fine.

Keep moving forward.

evmo wrote:

That's a superb analysis from Munatones.

A few months ago, The Nevada State Athletic Commission fined Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. $900,000 (30% of his purse) for testing positive for marijuana after a title fight, and was suspended for 9 months. The same commission treates PEDs the same exact way. The fighter is appealing the fine.

In the long run, in any sport, Munatones is right on the money.

Keep moving forward.

• oxooxo Guest
    edited April 2013
    If the marathon swimming community has members that, to put it euphemistically, bend rules in drafting off boats in order to set records, then it is likely, in my opinion, that there have been and will be swimmers bending rules on drugs. For example, currently WADA does not ban some substances that elevate body temperature. Similar to drafting alongside a boat, such substances are not specifically banned but would certainly be at odds with the core ethics of swimming, or at least the core ethics from my viewpoint.
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    As long as caffeine is still allowed. I can't survive w/o my 24-36oz of soda in the morning. ;)

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• bobswimsbobswims Santa Barbara CACharter Member
    Whenever I go in to see my doctor for anything I tell him that when I try to be active I have a hard time breathing. It's an easy way to get PED inhalers, and they are covered by insurance too! ;)

On the other hand since selling my Amgen stock I haven't found a good source of EPO to continue my micro dosing. Any recommendations?
    I have a question regarding solo crossings and stage swims. On Diana Nyad's 2011 Cuba - Florida attempt, she reportedly got on the boat and was given prednisone to reduce the inflammation associated with numerous jellyfish stings. She was unable to continue. If she would've been able to continue under the classification of a staged swim, would a possible successful completion actually have been invalidated because of prednisone use? Although prednisone was used to reduce inflammation, it is actually a steroid.

Keep moving forward.

• bobswimsbobswims Santa Barbara CACharter Member
    "Organizers of the Gran Fondo New York are spending $15,000 on drug tests to deter dopers from competing in the 105-mile event on May 19."

"“It’s pathetic, frankly. Who are we really impressing? We’re racing for PowerBars, tires and passes to amusement parks.”" [Although clearly more $ is at stake]

http://www.outsideonline.com/news-from-the-field/Organizers-Look-to-Deter-Amateur-Doping.html?utm_source=nftf&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=05102013
  • Oh no, not Diana again.......

Sisu: a Finnish term meaning strength of will, determination, perseverance, and acting rationally in the face of adversity.