Gold Coast Australia - Easter Saturday 10Km Swim

mattsmilemattsmile Member
edited March 2012 in Event Announcements
An informal marathon swim takes place every Easter Saturday on the beautiful Gold Coast. Starting at Burleigh Heads Surf Club Swimmers swim north about 10 Km to Surfers Paradise Surf Club. Both Surf clubs have an IRB that takes swimmers water and stays in contact with them over the swim. Swim starts at 6am and a donation of $10 is made to the surf clubs who run the IRB's. Last year there were about 40 swimmers and this year that field sounds like it has grown with the Gold Coast's Friday Warriors taking part this year. Normally followed by a coffee or beer & bacon and Egg Roll at The Surfers Paradise SLSC. Just turn up with you swimmers and goggles. Hopefully we get a beautiful day!
Tagged:

Comments

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    @mattsmile thanks for joining the Forum and posting this!

Is there a website and perhaps a pic or two (to torture those of us in the Northern hemisphere)?
  • Hi Jasonwong! There really is no further info that I could direct you to. I did the swim last year and I think it has been going informally from what I can tell for maybe 5-10 years. It is the collaboration of the two surf clubs - but swimmers can be from anywhere. My kids are nippers - so I am not a clubbie - and heard about it from other parents at the surf club. My 11 year old swam it last year and she is fired up again this year - now 12. You couls try ringing either of these clubs - but otherwise just be there before 6 on Easter Sat.

• I've done this swim a couple of times now (think it's been going for 15+ years), all from Burleigh to Surfers but if the sweep is going the opposite direction they'll reverse it. This is definietly not an 'organised' swim, very informal, your basically on your own - not a swim for a complete novice.

Be warned that most of these guys are very experienced ocean swimmers and they will swim in all conditions. I've done this in huge surf before, so big that you're swimming out past the shark nets/drum lines...

Turn up at Burleigh ready to swim in your swimmers/cap/goggles, leave everything in your car (or at home) except for a drink bottle, introduce yourself (there are some real characters), pay your money and start swimming north towards the biggest building you can see (Q1).

There are normally 2 IRB's covering everyone so you may not see them often. When you do flag them down and they'll throw you a drink (may not necessarily be yours but take what you can get).

The top guys will easily go sub 2hrs with the current, others over 3 hrs. The Burleigh SLSC bus will drive swimmers back to Burleigh to get their cars at the end of the swim.

Top event, the way things used to be done. There is no starters gun, time keeper, free shirts etc... Just remember not to swim past the 'finish line' or you'll end up at Straddie.