George Thornton, 73, is a GO for the English Channel!

ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber
edited August 2013 in Cheering Section
George just got the word from his boat captain, Eddie Spelling of the Anastasia, that he is a go for his chance to become the oldest person to swim the English Channel. George meets the boat crew at 6:15 am, England time, and hopes to start swimming by 7:30 am. That's about 12:30 am really early Wednesday morning here in Denver.

Here is his son's blog: http://georgethorntonenglishchannel.wordpress.com/ The blog outlines George's misadventures last summer, when the weather blew him out, and his journey this year so far. Good reading.

Eddie does a great job of sending updates via his Facebook Page, Anastasia Channel Boat, so be sure to "Like" the page if you want updates.

George is looking at a 17-24 hour swim and could use as much support as we can muster. His crew should have access to phones/internet during the swim, so any words of support can be relayed to his crew. Let's get the good vibes going for him! This is history, people.

Comments

• ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber
    I think my excitement caused the channel gods to revolt... George's swim has been delayed a day or two.
    George will be starting in just a few hours. Wish him luck!
    Updates: Stroke rate 54 water temp 16.9c Air temp 17c wind speed 6.3 knots from the south; All going great. Just entered SW shipping lane. Big cargo ships. Dad making jokes. Good spirits. Consistent stroke rate for 4+ hours.

• lakespraylakespray Senior Member
    If Colorado had Open Water Swimming Hall of Fame, George Thornton would certainly be one of it's first inductee's. This EC will be the crowning jewel but George has been the long time force behind Colorado's longest and most will known open water event the www.horsetoothswim.com

The race started out in 1999 with just a handful of participants when a 10K open water swim was unheard of these parts. Now 14 years later it's the premier event in the region, it was the USMS National Championship in 2006 and continues to attract national and international entrants.

I know of at least seven other swimmers that the Horsetooth swim was the addictive candy that led to there own EC crossing including Sarah Thomas and Craig Lenning.

Swim strong George!

Live view

http://www.lovechannelswimming.com/swims/live-swims
  • Leonard_JansenLeonard_Jansen Charter Member
    Go George!

-LBJ

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

• lakespraylakespray Senior Member
    Joe Bakel, successful EC crossing July 2010 and a co-director of the Horsethooth swims is George's coach. They anticipated and prepared that he would be in 20 hour plus range, so George's track will have at least one S curve and likely a half curve more......
    Recent update:

AnastasiaSwim: 1/2 mile to the separation zone, George is making jokes and looking well, on our 9th hour into the swim

There's a full list of articles/TV news interviews here: http://georgethorntonenglishchannel.wordpress.com/2013-blogs/

This is my favorite: http://www.9news.com/rss/story.aspx?storyid=348484
    Oh no: Just saw that George got out due to hypothermia. He's fine, but heading back to Dover. Devestating. :-(
  • MvGMvG MauritiusCharter Member
    Too bad. What a great attempt. Respect!
  • + 1 on the respect, well done attempt!
  • KNicholasKNicholas ArizonaCharter Member
    I had breakfast with George and his wife Louise a couple of times leading up to his swim. Also had a pint at the White Horse with his coach Joe. Wishing George the best and certainly he has all my respect for going after his goal. When Im 73, I hope I have 1/2 of what George has when it comes to determination balanced with a good hearted and humble nature.