This forum's own Franco was profiled in the Baltimore Sun today

Comments

• jcmalickjcmalick Wilmington, DEMember
    Great Press Franco!
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    Balt Sun won't let me read it on my iPod. Something about having to subscribe to Press+

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited August 2013
    Hey @Franco - very cool profile!

If you don't mind my asking, how did this article come about? Press is - always has been, always will be - important to marathon swimming. Some forum members, especially those who are fund-raising for various causes, might be interested to hear the most effective ways to get media coverage.
  • FrancoFranco Chestertown, MDCharter Member
    I actually had nothing to do with it. The two friends quoted in the beginning of the article contacted The Sun after I completed the END- WET swim and knew I was doing OC nine mile the following week. No big deal compared to what many on this forum have done but to my "accomplished" triathlete friends, it was something they felt deserved recognition. I initially turned down a request to do a story about me in a regional paper owned by The Sun but offered my assistance if they wanted to do a story about local open water swimming. I never heard back but my friends persisted and I was contacted again by a Sun reporter and agreed to share my story after he copied me on an email sent by one of them.
  • JBirrrdJBirrrd MarylandSenior Member
    So humble. Franco, you are a legend in my mind and always have been so supportive. Loved the article. Agree w/ Evan, great to see marathon swimmers getting press. Too rare. Good for our sport. :-)