MIMS Application Questions

evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
edited October 2013 in General Discussion
The MIMS 2014 application deadline is approaching on November 1. If you are applying and have questions, feel free to ask them here. Many forum members have been through this process and are willing to help.

Some fine print: Any comments I make here are as a past MIMS swimmer, not as an official representative of NYC Swim.
Tagged:

Comments

• Bearing in mind that @evmo and I have had completely different experiences....
    I am also happy to discuss MIMS. :)
  • AnthonyMcCarleyAnthonyMcCarley Berwyn, PACharter Member
    Should I be able to enter workouts, essay, etc. in my profile now? The website is not allowing me to do anything other than enter past swims, select radio buttons (the membership section) and input my pool 1500m time.
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    suziedods wrote:
    Bearing in mind that @evmo and I have had completely different experiences....
    I am also happy to discuss MIMS. :)
    To clarify, this thread is intended for questions related to the MIMS application process. Forum members are welcome to discuss other aspects of the MIMS event, but please do so in a separate thread.
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    Should I be able to enter workouts, essay, etc. in my profile now? The website is not allowing me to do anything other than enter past swims, select radio buttons (the membership section) and input my pool 1500m time.
    I just checked my account and it looks like that section is not accepting input yet. I recommend typing up your workouts & essay now, so you can just copy & paste when the time comes.
  • GordsGords Syracuse, UTCharter Member
    Looks like it's taking medical and essays now. :)
    Hmmm, must be me. It is acting differently (better) this morning and it is taking medical, but still not essays or workouts...
  • loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
    I tell people to expect 8 to 10 hours on the MIMS application. A portion of that is allocated to wasting time on the stupid clunky upload system which barfs regularly. Always check your uploads the day after also, as stuff disappears.

loneswimmer.com

• ZoeSadlerZoeSadler Charter Member
    I’m unlikely to enter it this year, but I have some questions on the medical requirements.
    - Does the medical have to be completed on the NYCSwim form or will a current (i.e. 2013) CS&PF medical suffice?
    - Does all medical information have to be submitted online prior to 1st November? I’ve got some quotes for a chest X-Ray and ECG which made my eyes water! I’m reluctant to pay this amount of money in advance of 1st November to then find out that I haven’t got a swim.
    - If the answer is “yes” to the above questions, does an additional medical then need to be carried out in the year of the swim?
  • david_barradavid_barra NYCharter Member
    ZoeSadler wrote:
    Does all medical information have to be submitted online prior to 1st November?

As I understand it, priority approval is given to completed applications... that includes medical info, crew confirmations, etc.

Incomplete applications will not be approved automatically (as per NYC swim's diversity goals) but will go to the committee for consideration.

...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

• KarenTKarenT Charter Member
    @ZoeSadler - I waited to do the ECG and chest X-ray until I'd been provisionally accepted, but submitted the rest of the medical form in advance of the deadline. (I would, by the way, like to see the evidence for drawing the line at 40, which seems very arbitrary to me). I wasn't accepted immediately; I think it was a couple of days, even though we were among the very first to get our completed application in on the day (including crew waivers etc). I'm assuming that this was because the medical was still outstanding, but maybe it was other factors or others just beat us to the early acceptance spots. I don't know if they accept other medical certificates, but presumably timing is an issue, since a 2013 CS&PF medical could be as much as 18 months before the actual swim.

My GP practice did the ECG as part of the fee for doing the medical, and I paid BUPA for the Xray (you still need a GP referral), but I can't remember how much I paid, but I remember that it wasn't cheap...you don't get that fluffy changing robe for nothing, it seems.

Kx
  • ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber
    ZoeSadler said:
    Does all medical information have to be submitted online prior to 1st November?

I know I used my Catalina medical form from 2010 when I signed up for 2011 MIMS. I didn't have issues.
    If you are having trouble with the website, try using a different browser. I couldn’t get IE to work. Have had success with some versions of Safari. Chrome works fine. (I admit I will be bummed if this helps someone bump me out of a slot, but I couldn’t pull a Nyad.)
    dpm50
  • bobswimsbobswims Santa Barbara CACharter Member
    If anyone is in the market for a "Why I Want to Swim MIMS" essay I have one for sale. Guaranteed to work (at least it did for me). If you don't get in I'll return your money. The buyer will have to do some substitution of nouns. Am also willing to trade it for a #1 or #2 spot with a CS&PF pilot in August or September 2014.
    cthorold
  • @bobswims, I have TWO essays to sell....donate.... will trade for .....
  • lakespraylakespray Senior Member
    What is the article section of NYCswim user profile for? My guess is if you have written a swim or open water article you can post it there but I'm not sure and haven't been able to figure out how to list one on it.
    lakespray wrote:
    What is the article section of NYCswim user profile for? My guess is if you have written a swim or open water article you can post it there but I'm not sure and haven't been able to figure out how to list one on it.

Or rather if you have been written about.... you can upload a link.

• HelbeHelbe Senior Member
    edited October 2013
    I have a couple of queries that I would appreciate some guidance on.

Firstly, please can anyone shed a bit more light on what sort of detail the essay should contain to be successful. The application information doesn't seem to offer much guidance.

Second question relates to swim speed and cut off times. Given the tidal assistance clearly impacting swim times for MIMS, how can I judge whether I have sufficient speed to meet the cut off times? Following on from this, is there a minimum 1500m swim time that would be considered acceptable?

Thanks
  • ChickenOSeaChickenOSea Charter Member
    I just wrote an honest account of why I wanted to do the swim. Nothing fancy.

My quiet MIMS time was 8.36, I think, and 8.59 during the race, which made me one of the slower swimmers (but still within the cutoff), and my 10k time in open water ranged from 3-3.30 at the time. It's not much to go on...I think I did 1500 in a 50 m pool in about 25 min very soon after MIMS, if I'm remembering correctly. I represent the butt-end of speeds that can make it around.
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited October 2013
    My advice on the MIMS "essay":

1. Answer the question
    2. succinctly
    3. with a focus on things that make you unique from other applicants
    4. and with a minimum of generic platitudes.

"Personal statement" is probably a more useful term to describe the intent of this. Put some thought into it, but keep in mind how many of these the committee will be reading.

Don't stress too much over it. Your swimming accomplishments are a more important factor.
  • HelbeHelbe Senior Member
    Thanks for the advice on essays @ChickonOSea and @evmo. The steps you outline are helpful in focusing my content. I was worried about filling the word count, but I guess less could be more in this case.
  • ChickenOSeaChickenOSea Charter Member
    I hadn't done the qualifying swim when I applied, and had no cold water experience, so I think I also included in my essay a plan for getting my qualifier done.
  • GordsGords Syracuse, UTCharter Member
    Can you believe how popular this race is? It blows my mind how fast the applicants list is growing. Exciting! People who make it in to this race definitely are NOT wishy washy about it.
    Gvanderbyl
    Although I submitted an entry essay well before the deadline I have a note that states "Need to Verify Entry Essay" anyone know what that's about?
  • It means they have to read it
  • helengheleng Hertfordshire, EnglandMember
    Does anyone know if the format of MIMS has been decided for 2015, and when does the application process open?
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited September 2014
    Paraphrasing from a chat with Morty:

- The format of MIMS 2015 has not been decided yet, and that decision is unlikely to occur before NYC Swim is finished with its 2014 slate of events (which still includes the Brooklyn Marathon Swim, Manhattan Island Relays, Statue of Liberty Swim, and Little Red Lighthouse Swim).
    - The most likely scenario is that the format will be similar to this year (three swims, aggregated according to speed).
    - All MIMS solo aspirants are encouraged to complete (or update) their NYC Swim profile/bio/swim resume at nycswim.org. This will serve you well regardless of the event format.
    - All MIMS solo aspirants are encouraged to complete their required one-hour pool swim sooner rather than later. This will also serve you well regardless of the event format.
  • Thanks for the info @evmo! Do you have any new updates on this? I noticed that the NYCSWIM website has been cleaned up quite a bit and mention of previous years' enrollment dates are difficult to come by.
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    I haven't heard anything. They're going through some significant transitions this year, so I'm not surprised stuff is moving around on the website.

Once the info on the 2015 schedule & application processes goes live, maybe we can set up a new thread as a clearinghouse for questions & (hopefully) answers.
  • j9swimj9swim CharlestonSenior Member
    i have a couple of MIMS questions - the 1 hour pool swim - does that need to be completed as part of the application process or can it be done afterwards as its only used to slot you on the proper day/rank?
    Does Ederle 2014 count as a qualifying swim ?
    Thanks!
    j9swim wrote: »
    i have a couple of MIMS questions - the 1 hour pool swim - does that need to be completed as part of the application process or can it be done afterwards as its only used to slot you on the proper day/rank?
    Does Ederle 2014 count as a qualifying swim ?
    Thanks!

I did my 1 hour swim after I was preliminary accepted but it was a short time frame to when it was due.
    Per NYC swim only recent official solo crossing of Catalina or 'English Channels (CSPF) are considered "Event" based qualifying swim. The Ederle swim might* qualify under the "Observer Qualifying Swim" Last year an Observer Qualifying Swim had to be at least 4 hours long and at a water temperature at *62F or lower. The water temperature at a Ederle swim may not have been cold enough. Your Ederle swim is probably automatically included your NYC swim profile and I"m guessing it firmly helps your cause in the selection process but may not be considered a qualifying swim. If your preliminary accepted and based on a successful Ederle swim you probably will be, you will have until about April to submit a observed qualifying swim. I'm from Denver so I flew to California last March to do my observed qualifying swim with my swim buddy and observer @Cliff a former resident of the area. The qualifying swim became part of my training plan, I did four days of ocean swimming in the Laguna Beach to Seal Beach area. Met other open water swimmers and really enjoyed my qualifying swim in the coves and rock reefs of Laguna Beach.
  • JustSwimJustSwim Senior Member
    My 2013 Ederle Swim was not considered a qualifying swim since the water temperature was too warm. I have to assume the 2014 Ederle wasn't swum in 61 degree water. Like Ken I flew to San Diego and did my 4 hour qualifier at LaJolla in March.

The one hour swim is used by NYC Swim to seed you. Who swam on what day in 2014 was largely determined byt the one hour swim results. Normally the 1 hour swims are done as part of the USMS program in January. There is a deadline for submititng your 1 hour results but I don't remember it impacting acceptance. The qualifying swim and/or the medical exams are what usually hold up the final acceptance.
    Thanks for the answers. As the swim now takes place in mid-June to mid July it wouldn't be too dissimilar in temp to Ederle in august but will be happy to do the qualifier if i make the cut. I am still swimming at Brighton to work on cold water acclimation for a possible catalina relay, so it will also work out either way.
  • JustSwimJustSwim Senior Member
    The great thing is you can always dash out to Brighton in the spring and knock out your qualifier. You did a 3 hour swim the day I was out there in June. What's another hour? ;-)
    j9swim
    True i can do the qualifier at BB or get on a plane and go swim in some new water, lajolla sounds lovely too.
    Can anyone shed any light on what is happening with MIMS next year? Or can anyone tell me who to contact if I want to arrange a private Manhattan Island swim?
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    Have you tried contacting them?

http://www.nycswim.org/About/Contact.aspx
  • suziedodssuziedods Mem​ber
    edited November 2014
    I sent an email 2 days ago and nothing. There is, if you hit google, an active.com event listed as June 6 2015 but nothing else. it's all very odd.
    @evmo - yes I have tried contacting them, but have had no response.
  • ttriventtriven Senior Member
    Somebody posts almost every day on the NYC swim FB page, you could try asking there. I have been guessing that it's just not figured out yet.
    NYC Swim will be hosting three, maybe more, webinars to go over the MIMS Application process for 2015 and beyond. The dates are as follows:

1. Friday, November 21, 2014 8:30 AM (New York Time)

2. Friday, November 21, 2014 5:00 PM (New York Time)

3. Sunday, November 23, 2014 8:30 AM (New York Time)

Please share this. Swimmers can register in advance by clicking the following URL: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/rt/2889553204285486850
    lakespray

• swimmer25kswimmer25k Charter Member
    I did the obligatory story on why I wanted to do MIMS in 1998. My boat driver screwed me over costing me the win and an eventual third place. For 2094, my essay was very simple. It read something like: "I came back to win".

The process was a little easier back in the day before the internet and social media exploded.
  • @david_barra... Why hasn't NYCSWIM yet made this announcement, on email, their website, or on their social networking? I only know about it because it's announced here.
  • The times are incredibly inconvenient for us West Coasters who have day jobs to pay for our swims....
    They are to be recorded but still....
    * still searching for that Triple*........
    Leadhyena wrote: »
    @david_barra... Why hasn't NYCSWIM yet made this announcement, on email, their website, or on their social networking? I only know about it because it's announced here.
    I don't know. I'm sure it will be.

• danswimsdanswims Portland, ORMember
    It's on their Facebook page as of about an hour ago.
  • Well, that was definitely interesting... I wasn't on the whole time so I can't give a complete summary... anyone else who was on the whole time, can they give a summary? What I can surmise:
    1) Hour long swim mandatory, no one exempt, separate from 4-hour cold water swim, to determine speed requirements. Bare minimum distance is 4300yd or 3950m (-50m in long course pool), which comes out to 1:23/100yd or 1:31/100m.
    2) Solos as well as a Race, an Anniversary swim, Ederle swim, and Brooklyn Marathon Swim. The race is on 1Aug2015, anniversary swim on 5Sept2015, Ederle on 9Aug2015, Brooklyn Marathon Swim on 12Sept2015.
    3) Paddlers and Observers get monetarily compensated for their time.
    4) Prices are higher, for solos MUCH higher. I don't have all these details as it is complicated, but I did take a snapshot of the "matrix"
    5) Solo can start from 96th St, Battery, OR Dyckman St. (the original place to start it)
  • Oh, and the race is CAPPED at 20 swimmers.
    suziedods
  • NYCBlueManNYCBlueMan Guest
    edited November 2014
    For 2015, there are 21 viable swim dates for the Battery and 96th Start locations; and 3 for Dyckman Street. Less for slower swimmers; due to tides, commercial traffic and darkness. Solos, non race, will be on weekdays for the most part.

Of the 21 viable swim dates, there are really only 9 viable date groupings of 2 or 3 days - so if there is, for instance a heavy rain.. the swim start will be pushed off to the next date that is part of the grouping.

The bare minimum requirement for the 1 HR distance is only for the Aug Race. Individual Solo swims do not have a minimum requirement.

People can enroll for solo swims through 2019. They can enroll for MIMS record attempts, a reverse circumnavigation or multiple circumnavigations.

Solo swim dates may have 2 or 3 swimmers going on the same date - who will be of a comparable speed.

Swimmers will have a custom model built for their speed and swim history based on the historical, successful circumnavigations... with an optimal start time and the tide predictions at 28 location points around Manhattan - to reduce the swim time and increase the certainty of completing the swim.... if everything goes as predicted. ;)
    evmo
  • ttriventtriven Senior Member
    I heard the last half hour. So there is 1 race day, and are there 20 spots for that day? Or 20 spots overall? Did they say how many they would take for race day? I was going to go do a one hour swim today just to have it done ahead of time, but I am just getting over a cold and my plan was just to hold 1:25 per 100yd, but now that I know the bare minimum I am reconsidering doing it today... I can usually hold 1:20s for a long time, but this is going to be a challenge.
  • Thanks NYCBlueMan! I honestly thought the speed qualifications were for everyone. Did you catch the details for the pricing? I have the snapshot from the presentation but it is blurry, and I was only paying attention to the race details.