Crazy Swim - 16 November, State College, PA

Leonard_JansenLeonard_Jansen Charter Member
edited October 2013 in Event Announcements
On 16 November, Martin Turecky will be putting on the 4th annual "Crazy Swim" in State College, PA. This is a POOL swim and it will be 13 miles this year. Martin used to put this event on near Albany, but his company transfered him to the State College, PA area (home of Penn State) this year. Entry fee is $75.00, but you also have to be in USMS for insurance reasons.

I did this last year (it was 12 miles) and really enjoyed it. The socializing afterward was great, too. Also, he is offering to put people up for 1 or 2 nights as well. Highly recommended!

Here is the registration link:
https://ops1.operations.daxko.com/programs/redirector.aspx?cid=2025&pid=88310&sid=1609071

Here is the text of the flyer. I didn't seem to be able to add it as an attachment - sorry.

Fourth Annual Crazy Swim
Swim 13miles in 2013

Dear USA Masters Swimmers,

This tradition has started in 2010, when swimmers completed 10 miles, every year we add one mile and this year you can enjoy 13 miles swim. If you are thinking about long open water swims, this is great and safe way to test your abilities. If you are craving Long swims in winter, this is great practice. If you just want to do something crazy, this is a great opportunity.

The event will take place on Saturday November 16th in the YMCA of Centre County, 677 Whitehall road, State College, PA. We will fill the event in the order we will receive online entries. Do not wait with your entries for last minute event will be posted also on YMCA web page and can fill quickly. Entries has to be completed prior November 9th.

Swim will start at 6 a.m. At 5:45 a.m. you will be required to attend the rule/safety meeting (if we have a higher number of participants than can be accommodated in the first heat, the second heat will start around noon). Swimmers will be allowed to leave the pool only for bio break. Feed/drinks are to be taken while standing in the water (shallow end of the pool). You do not have to swim continuously; you can develop your own strategy to reach the target. However the swim has to be done in 3000 yard increments/sets. Swim has to be completed within 9 hours. No paddles, pull buoys, no kick boards and no fins are allowed.

Every swimmer will receive an official certificate with achieved distance and time regardless if he/she decides to finish the event prior achieving 13 miles or does not complete the event within 9 hour limit.

You will be responsible for counting and flipping sheets in 3000 yard increments (I will provide counting sheets); a simple random auditing procedure will be explained in the briefing prior to start.

Entry fee is $75 and will benefit members of YMCA learn to swim program. Entries have to be made on YMCA web site:
NOTE: If you are not registered as USA Master swimmer for 2013 you have to register first (one event membership is available too) you can register online USA Masters swimming - www.usms.org/
The link for online registration for the 2013 Crazy Swim is here: https://ops1.operations.daxko.com/programs/redirector.aspx?cid=2025&pid=88310&sid=1609071

Once you have clicked on this link, follow these instructions:
1. The information about the program is on the page that will open. Please note that the price of the program is $75, listed on the last line, not above where it says “registration.” To register for the swim, click on the green capsule that says “REGISTER FOR PROGRAM” on the upper right hand side of the screen.
2. This takes you to the sign in page. If you have used online registration for the YMCA of Centre County before, type your email address and previously created password in the box on the left, then move on to step 4. If you have participated in a YMCA of Centre County program, or are a current member who has not used online registration before, click “Find Account” on the center box and follow directions to locate your information, then move on to step 4. If you have never participated in a YMCA of Centre County program or membership click “Sign Up” in the box on the right.
3. In the Membership Options, select State College Family YMCA in the drop-down box. Then under membership, select Non-Member Participant. You will then need to fill in the information on the next page to create your online account. Questions in bold with an asterisk require an answer to complete registration. You may add other family members to the account if you wish. When finished, click on the box marked “save and proceed” at the bottom of the page. This will take you to a verification page. If any information needs to be changed, click on the pencil to the right of your name. If everything is correct, click “NEXT.” You will have to select an email address and create a password for login to online registration. Once completed, you will go to a page saying that you have successfully created an account. Now you’re ready to register for the swim, so click on the above link once again, then click on the green “REGISTER FOR PROGRAM” capsule.
4. Please read the waiver, then check the acknowledgement box. Please answer the questions on the next page. Remember, you must have a valid US Masters Swimming registration number to complete registration.
5. Once the registration questions are complete, you will be prompted to make payment to finish registration.
6. Done!

I will receive email when you complete the registration. I am looking forward to swim with you.

Martin

-LBJ

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

Comments

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    Damn! I'm on a business trip that week.

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• Leonard_JansenLeonard_Jansen Charter Member
    IronMike wrote:
    Damn! I'm on a business trip that week.

Including Saturday? I think you should quit your job.

@ForeverSwim - This is practically in your backyard. How about it?

-LBJ

• I'm thinking of coming down from Ottawa for this... Anyone want to catch the Penn - Purdue game with me afterwards?
  • Leonard_JansenLeonard_Jansen Charter Member
    Bill wrote:
    I'm thinking of coming down from Ottawa for this... Anyone want to catch the Penn - Purdue game with me afterwards?

By all means come down! As far as the football game is concerned, you will have to swim fairly fast - the Crazy Swim starts at 6 AM and the football game starts at noon. Keep in mind you will have to get from the YMCA in SW State College to the stadium in NE State College as well and game day traffic can be quite challenging.

-LBJ