CALL FOR NOMINATIONS - New Awards Categories

evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
edited March 2015 in Admin Communications
Have a good idea for a new category for the Global Marathon Swimming Awards?

Post it here!

To support someone else's idea, click "Like."
Tagged:

Comments

• ZoeSadlerZoeSadler Charter Member
    How about an award for "Altruism in Marathon Swimming"? Someone can think of a snappier title.

There are so many people out there who give up so much of their own time, freely, to help swimmers achieve their dreams. The marathon swim, however amazing, is just the end result and wouldn't happen without these people.

The only problem with this category is that they are all winners, and it might be unfair to separate them. I'm thinking that people such as Freda Streeter, Ned Denison, Barrie Wakeham (Dover) would be worthy nominees. Of course, there are many others.
  • jcmalickjcmalick Wilmington, DEMember
    Just like they have for Actor Awards...perhaps best supporting role. In terms of Open Water Swimming, this could be for providing support assistance as crew, volunteering, kayaking, observing, etc. I surely know of a few open water swimmers and volunteers that would be worthy of this distinction/nomination!
  • david_barradavid_barra NYCharter Member
    "The Hard Way"
    Because a traditional swim just isn't difficult enough for some folks...
    Thinking:
    Sylle - EC Fly
    Alan Morrison - Pitnoff and Sandy Hook to Coney Island Breaststroke
    Fergal - North Channel way early season
    etc.

...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

• ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber
    I strongly second @jcmalick's suggestion. I'd love to see a category that allows us to recognize the true heros of marathon swimming: The Support Crew. I know of a few pepole who have gone above and beyond this year in supporting swims around the world, and they deserve to be recognized!
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    Just thinking out loud here... Would a 'Service to the Sport' award cover both @ZoeSadler's and @jcmalick's ideas effectively?
  • ZoeSadlerZoeSadler Charter Member
    evmo wrote:
    Just thinking out loud here... Would a 'Service to the Sport' award cover both @ZoeSadler's and @jcmalick's ideas effectively?

Yes, it could do. I was just trying to articulate my thoughts out loud! However, I imagine "Service to the Sport" would be appropriate for volunteering over a long, sustained period, say 10 years or more.

• jcmalickjcmalick Wilmington, DEMember
    I second the Service to the Sport award but not necessarily for a given time period...not going for the Wheeler Award here so if it is within a calendar year, I think that would be appropriate. Just my input.
  • In the Olympics, there are medals for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place. I would like to see a new category for the top three swims of the year. Also, to include DNF. For example, when Penny Palfrey attempted to swim from Cuba to Florida, she did not finish, but her epic swim was an amazing accomplishment.
  • JenAJenA Charter Member
    Best Unfinished Swim

Anyone who gets 75 yards from France doesn't make it (or whatever the traditional horror story is) should have a shiny award to cling to. :)
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    +1 for @jcmalick's recommendation (I did click like). But also, how about one for best marathon swimming journalism? Might not get a lot of nominees each year, but it might spur others to write mo' betta.

Or Open Water Writing, or something along those lines...cover novels, non-fiction, journalism (magazine, newspaper, online). How 'bout it?

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• david_barradavid_barra NYCharter Member
    barra award - male
    barra award - female

...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    barra award - male
    barra award - female
    let it be so!
  • Leonard_JansenLeonard_Jansen Charter Member
    In light of certain events this year, I do think that the Golden Lamprey Award would find an easy and deserving winner. It wouldn't have to be a yearly thing, but a special award given for outstanding disservice to the sport.

I'm just sayin'...

-LBJ

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

• KarenTKarenT Charter Member
    I feel like I have to come to the defence of the lamprey, who has done nothing to warrant being the representative of disservices to swimming. Anyway, we wouldn't want to anger it....
  • ChickenOSeaChickenOSea Charter Member
    I agree about the Lampreys. Like Lord Voldemort, mentioning their names will only draw their attention to us.
    Perhaps the Foggy Goggle award?
  • DanSimonelliDanSimonelli San Diego CASenior Member
    How About: the most "exotic" or unusual feed used during a marathon swim.

It was a fun morning on JC Malick's Catalina swim when he could no longer resist the smell of the morning bacon cooking in Outrider's galley and he quickly requested, received and consumed a couple juicy slices of mouth watering bacon, which slid down nicely and gave him the certain boost he needed to continue to fight the head current he had most of the way across that day! ;-)
  • FilFil Derby, VTCharter Member
    At all of our running, biking, swimming events in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont, we have a "Last One Back to the Barn" Award for that individual who's determination best represents the "Fist in the Face of Reality" reflective of so many of us who live in this hardscrabble but beautiful area of the USA.

Accomplishment and completion deserve recognition without question. But those who dare to try, who join the journey, and who's efforts are inspirational to so many, but who don't "complete" are too often unheralded. I'd love to see a category regarding the most inspirational but unsuccessful attempt.
  • FilFil Derby, VTCharter Member
    And, reading Ned's nomination of Marcy for Swimmer of the Year, I wonder, should there be a "Lifetime Achievement Award?"
  • FergalFergal Dublin, IrelandMember
    I wish to nominate Pat Gallant-Charette for a hugely courageous (first) attempt on the North Channel in which she was denied by less than ¾ mile after 16 hours and 42 minutes. I had the great honour to be visited by Pat (and Darren Miller) at High Rock, Malahide the following Sunday. I look forward to her next visit which will hopefully coincide with a successful North Channel crossing.
  • SullySully Member
    edited November 2013
    A Memorial Award.
    It seems that each year our current members and athletes tackle or propose a swim that makes us appreciate the past even more. Those historic and perhaps forgotten swims deserve credit.
  • The Nyad award.
    To recognize the thread that generates the most posts that year. ;)