CALL FOR NOMINATIONS - 2013 Solo Swim of the Year (female)

evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
edited March 2015 in Admin Communications
The Second Annual MSF Global Marathon Swimming Awards are upon us!

Please submit your nominations for outstanding solo marathon swim by a female in 2013, by commenting on this thread.

Please, only one nomination per comment. Individual forum members may contribute more than one nomination, but please try to spread them out if possible so others have the opportunity to nominate.

To submit a private nomination, send a PM to the Admins ( @evmo and/or @loneswimmer) and we will submit it on your behalf.

The following types of swims are not eligible to be nominated as Solo Swim of the Year:

Relays
Stage swims
Swims shorter than 10 kilometers
Swims without an independent observer
Uncompleted swims (DNF's)
Swims that violate the generally accepted rules of traditional marathon swimming, e.g.,
- Use of any swim costume or device that improves speed, buoyancy, or heat retention (beyond that provided by a single porous, textile swimsuit, single non-neoprene cap, goggles, grease, and earplugs).
- Supportive contact with people or watercraft during the swim.

If you agree with a nomination and want to "second" it, click the "Like" button on that nomination.

Nominations will remain open through the end of November.

Last year's finalists were:
- Annaleise Carr
- Chloe McCardel
- Tina Neill

Last year's winner was: Tina Neill
Tagged:

Comments

• HelbeHelbe Senior Member
    I'd like to nominate Wendy Trehiou for her stunning show of perseverance and endurance during her successful 2-way English Channel swim.
  • gregocgregoc Charter Member
    Sarah Thomas for her 50-mile Lake Memphremagog double crossing, which wasn't long after her Lake Tahoe double.
    HappyHelen
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    Sarah Thomas' two way Lake Tahoe.

Seems like the tougher of her two doubles, due to the elevation. Just IMO.
  • ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber
    Michelle Macy's record-breaking North Channel swim. Totally incredible.
  • sylmarinosylmarino San FranciscoMember
    Wendy Trehiou 2-way EC.
  • Another vote for Wendy please.
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited November 2013
    In the interest of keeping things orderly, to "second" nominations, please click the "Like" button rather than adding new comments. Thanks!

(The "Like" button is not available on the mobile version of the site... sorry.)
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    Also, to clarify: We will all have the opportunity to VOTE on the nominees next month. This is just the nomination round at the moment. Thanks.
  • I'm signed in but the 'like' button isn't working for me either (on my laptop)...so, I'll +1 on Michelle Macy's nomination...sorry, just want to get that out there :)
  • patpat Member
    edited November 2013
    I would like to nominate Anna-Carin Nordin of Sweden for female swimmer of the year. She became the first woman in history to complete the Oceans Seven Challenge.
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    @pat, thanks for the nomination. Is there a specific swim that best represents Anna-Carin's accomplishment? This award is for a swim rather than swimmer. We're trying to keep the criteria unambiguous. Thanks.
  • Anna-Carin's North Channel swim in July. Her seventh swim of the ocean's seven.
  • Leonard_JansenLeonard_Jansen Charter Member
    Grace Van der Byl's Catalina Channel swim & record.

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    One of the all-time great swims, for sure. It was last year, though. Grace won the 2012 Barra Award for her swims including the Catalina record.
  • Leonard_JansenLeonard_Jansen Charter Member
    evmo wrote:
    One of the all-time great swims, for sure. It was last year, though. Grace won the 2012 Barra Award for her swims including the Catalina record.

I stand as living proof of the dangers of taking drugs as a youth and their effect in later life. Mea culpa.

-LBJ

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited November 2013
  • FilFil Derby, VTCharter Member
    I second the nomination of Sarah Thomas, but for her 50 mile, fresh water double crossing of Lake Memphremagog, just 6 weeks after her 44 mile double crossing at high altitude of Lake Tahoe. Not just the distance which is extraordinary, And not just that if trailed another extraordinary swim by just six weeks. But two other factors contributed to the difficulty of this swim. She started in the face of 25+ mph head winds and swam through them at their height for at least eight hours, but also the air temperature went down into the low 40's during the night which created another fierce challenge for Sarah.

30 hours in the water from noon on Friday to 6:00 pm on Saturday.

AND, just 6 weeks after her 44 mile swim on Lake Tahoe.

It was an extraordinary and inspiring swim to be part of. Tell you that, Mr Man.

Phil
This discussion has been closed.