Marathon Swimmers Forum - New Member Guide
Please Read Before Posting
About the Forum
- The Forum was founded in March 2012 by Evan Morrison (@evmo) and Donal Buckley (@loneswimmer). Evan swims and blogs from San Francisco, California, USA. Donal swims and blogs from Co. Tipperary, Ireland.
- To celebrate and promote the sport of marathon swimming.
- To foster connections and information sharing among the global community of marathon swimmers.
- To provide an educational resource for aspiring marathon swimmers.
- What are the benefits of registering as a member, rather than just lurking?
- Access to member profiles and "Activity" page.
- Subscribe to email notifications of new discussions & comments.
- When logged in, unread threads & comments are highlighted.
- Access to the private messaging system.
How to Find Information on the Forum
- Use the search box (upper-right corner).
- Browse the category archives.
- Browse the tag archives.
Creating a New Discussion
- Has this topic been discussed before? Has your question been asked before? If so, consder adding to the previous discussion thread instead of creating a new one.
- Write descriptive titles. One should be able to have a good idea of what the discussion is about, just from the title, without having to open it.
- Put the discussion in the appropriate category. There are six categories to choose from:
Add some tags (optional). See the list along the right edge of the main discussions page for examples.
Please DO NOT post the following types of discussion threads:
- Beginner Questions.
- Locations & Networking. For questions along the lines of: "I'm traveling to [location]. Are there any open water swimming groups there?"
- Swim Reports. You just did an interesting swim, wrote up a report, but don't have your own blog. This is a place to share it.
- Cheering Section. Jane is about to start her English Channel swim. Here's her SPOT tracker link and Twitter. Go Jane!
- Event Announcements.
- General Discussion. Anything that doesn't fit in the above categories.
- Advertisements, either up-front or surreptitious.
- Overly general requests for advice on, e.g., training and nutrition. There is extensive information in the archives - please search them before posting "Please Help Me" threads.
- Classified ads, for example:
- "For sale" ads.
- Recruitment of crew members for your upcoming swim.
- Solicitation of coaching services.
Commenting in a Discussion
- Stay on topic (as much as possible). It is preferable to create a new discussion topic than to make an off-topic comment.
- Be sparing in your quoting of other users. Cut the quote to the part you are specifically responding to.
Using the Private Messaging System
- If you choose to receive email notifications of private messages (PMs), you cannot reply via email. Your message will go to an unmonitored inbox. You must reply from your Forum Inbox.
Commercial Spam and Nuisance Posts
- Posts whose sole purpose appears to be promoting a commercial venture are considered SPAM and are prohibited.
- If you are unsure whether a post may be commercial SPAM, please consult the admins before posting.
- Overly self-promotional posts are also considered SPAM, especially if the poster is a new member of the forum. Established forum members with a record of helpful contributions have more leeway on self-promotional posts.
- Nuisance posts, including personal attacks, potentially defamatory material, and surreptitious advertising, will not be tolerated.
- Process for dealing with problem users and posts. If a forum member violates any of these policies, the problem post may be deleted, and the user will be warned. If the nuisance behavior persists, the user may be banned from the Forum.
- Please limit your "signatures" to three lines.
Subscribe to New Posts via Email or RSS
- Email (courtesy of MailChimp)
- RSS Feeds (paste link into your RSS reader)
How to Embed Images or Videos in a Post
- If the image is already hosted (located) on the web:
- Find the URL of the image you want to attach
- Click the "image" icon directly above the comment box (3rd from right)
- Insert the URL of your image between the quotation marks in the HTML code
- Move the HTML code to wherever you want the image to appear in your comment
- Post your comment
- If the image is on your computer, please upload it to the web using an image-sharing service such as imgur or Dropbox. Then follow the same instructions as above.
- To embed a video from YouTube or Vimeo, simply cut and paste the link into the comment box. The embedding will happen automatically.
- In order to post comments and view member profile information, you must be a registered member of the Forum.
- Forum membership is not required to view discussions and comments - i.e., they are "public."
- A confirmed email address is required to register for Forum membership. We will never share your email address with anyone, for any reason, unless compelled by court subpoena.
- Forum members are free to choose a username that reflects their real-life identity - or not. Public speculation on the identity (i.e., "outing") of forum members will not be tolerated.