Melodee Liegl - Green Lake
West to East
11.2 km (7.0 miles)
4 hours, 22 minutes on 30 July 2020
Observed and documented by Katie Donahugh and Sarah Green
- Support Personnel
- Swim Parameters
- Swim Data & GPS
- Observer Log
- Swimmer Statement
- Name: Melodee Liegl
- Gender: female
- Age on swim date: 53
- Nationality: United States
- Resides: Delafield, Wisconsin
- Katie Donahugh
- Sarah Green
Both served simultaneously as observers, crew, and kayak pilots.
- Category: Solo, nonstop, unassisted.
- Rules: MSF Rules of Marathon Swimming, without exception or modification.
- Equipment used: Textile swimsuit (Speedo Endurance+), cap, goggles.
- Body of Water: Green Lake, Wisconsin
- Route Type: one-way
- Start Location: Dodge Memorial County Park (Markesan, WI) (43.779297, -89.048216)
- Finish Location: Sunset Park (Pleasant Point, WI) (43.826260, -88.927395)
- Minimum Route Distance: 11.2 km (7.0 miles) (map)
No known previous swims of this route.
- Start: 30 July 2020, 07:14 (Central Daylight, America/Chicago, UTC-5).
- Finish: 30 July 2020, 11:36
- Elapsed: 4 hours, 22 minutes.
Summary of Conditions
|Water Temp (F)||78||78|
|Air Temp (F)||64||74|
Trackpoint frequency: 10 minutes. Download raw data (CSV).
Nutrition: Clif Blok, GU gel, water
by Melodee Liegl
What inspired you to do this swim?
With all the craziness of 2020, I still wanted to have a swim documented with MSF for 2020. I recruited my friend, Katie, as an observer (right before her knee replacment surgery was planned) and my son’s girlfriend, Sarah. My dad grew up in a city about 20 minutes away from Green Lake. When I was young, we would go boating on that lake. It is a big lake and I have thought about swimming across this lake one of these days. Since most events were cancelled, I thought this was the year to swim across.
Please describe how you planned for the swim.
Super easy, it was on my list of swims to do some day. Since my friend was having surgery soon, I wanted to squeeze it in and that was the only time that worked.
How did the swim go, generally? Did you face any unanticipated challenges?
I would have loved to have done a double crossing as I had planned (I was totally prepared to), but that was not going to happen this day. I would say this was the worst swims for me mentally. Then Sarah was having issues with her kayak and struggled and was not happy. I am just lucky I got the single crossing done. The double will be done another day.
Click to enlarge.