Gracie O'Connell - Redondo Beach to LAX
Redondo Beach to Dockweiler Beach (LAX)
10.9 km (6.8 miles)
2 hours, 53 minutes on 20 September 2020
Observed and documented by Krista Anderson
- Support Personnel
- Swim Parameters
- Swim Data & GPS
- Observer Log
- Swimmer Statement
- Name: Gracie O’Connell
- Gender: female
- Age on swim date: 16
- Nationality: United States
- Resides: California
- Beth Lee - kayaker
- John York - coach / 2nd observer
- Krista Anderson - observer
Swim escorted by kayak.
- Category: Solo, nonstop, unassisted.
- Rules: MSF Rules of Marathon Swimming, without exception or modification.
- Equipment used: Textile swimsuit (Jolyn fixed back), cap, goggles.
Chart House restaurant beach in Redondo Beach, passing west of Hermosa Beach and Manhattan Beach piers, finishing on beach north of Dockweiler Beach jetty.
- Body of Water: Santa Monica Bay
- Route Type: one-way
- Start Location: Beach in front of Chart House restaurant, just north of Redondo Beach breakwater (33.851145, -118.3995670)
- Finish Location: Beach just north of Dockweiler Beach jetty (LAX) (33.940740, -118.443880)
- Minimum Route Distance: 10.9 km (6.8 miles) (map)
LongSwimsDB: Santa Monica Bay coastal.
- Start: 20 September 2020, 06:49 (Pacific Daylight, America/Los_Angeles, UTC-7).
- Finish: 20 September 2020, 09:42
- Elapsed: 2 hours, 53 minutes.
Summary of Conditions
|Water Temp (F)||68||68|
|Air Temp (F)||61||67|
|Wind (mph)||2.4 E||4.0 S|
Trackpoint frequency: 15 minutes. Download raw data (CSV).
Nutrition: Water every 30 minutes.
by Gracie O’Connell
What inspired you to do this swim?
I love open water swimming and wanted to push myself to do something “more”. My coach encouraged me to pursue this challenge.
Please describe how you planned for the swim.
I practiced about 3 days a week in the ocean with a few teammates and coach (John York). Because of the covid lockdown, I was able to do more ocean swimming before my classes started on zoom so it helped my enndurance. (One good thing about the pandemic.)
How did the swim go, generally? Did you face any unanticipated challenges?
There was a lot of fog so it was hard to see! Even though I swam the general route several times I didn’t know where the exact finish line was (and either did Beth, my kayaker!) But, it was so great and I am glad that I did it.
Click to enlarge.