hypoallergenic feeding products?

ketosketos Member
edited November 2012 in General Discussion
And it needs to be the Canadian definition, which unfortunately includes corn. Or does anyone have a good recipe? I'll have to figure out some way to bag it and stuff it in my suit as well.
Tagged:

Comments

• loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
    Could you provide a bit more explanation of what you are requesting?

loneswimmer.com

• Alternatives to gatorade gels and the like that are hypoallergenic of course.

Gatorade gels contain maltodextrin which comes from corn and therefore is no good for me.

So what else is out there? I'd prefer stuff I can cary in my suit for races.

• loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
    Sorry for being dense, but since malto is just a pure sugar, surely the origin is irrelevant after processing? You need a high energy density non-malto product instead? I can't think of anything equivalent if so (there are too many problems using fructose or glucose as alternatives for long duration). but others might have a better idea.

Have you considered trying a keto diet, (though I have reservations about that for long distance or anywhere cold, I don't think anyone has proven it's utility in this arena and I'm not going to try it, I'll keep my bioprene, thanks ). Or trying a solids-based feed, like dilute oat porridge?

loneswimmer.com

• ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber
    I don't know anything about the scientific aspects behind maltodextrin and gluten free, but I do have a few recipes for all natural energy bars with rice as a base. I hate gels and those sort of things (too sweet when I'm exercising). I've never tried rice cakes as a sole energy source during a swim, and you can't stick them in your suit, but they are tasty and work well to replace an energy bar. Here's an example:

1. Combine 2 cups uncooked calrose rice and three cups water in a rice cooker. Cook.
    2. While rice is cooking, chop up 8 ounces of bacon before frying. Fry and drain grease.
    3. Beat 4 eggs and then scramble on high heat.
    4. In a large bowl, combine rice, bacon and eggs. Add 2 tablespoons liquid amino acids or low sodium soy sauce. Add brown sugar to taste.
    5. After mixing, press into a 8 or 9 inch baking pan to about 1.5 inch thickness.
    6. Top with more brown sugar, salt, and/or Parmesan if desired.
    7. Cut into 10 squares, wrap individually.

Per serving: 225 calories, 8g fat, 321 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrates, 1 g fiber, 9 g protein
    Source: The Feed Zone Cookbook by Biju Thomas and Allen Lim
  • WaterGirlWaterGirl Scottsdale, AZCharter Member
    Banannas?
    flystorms
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    WaterGirl wrote:
    Banannas?
    Some old-school boat captains are superstitious of them. Seriously.
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    evmo wrote:
    WaterGirl wrote:
    Banannas?
    Some old-school boat captains are superstitious of them. Seriously.

Why? Slippery deck?

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

At Swim the Suck, a guy had a banana tucked into his goggle strap. It looked like the blade on a Roman helmet.
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    I do remember seeing him and thinking, Why not just give that to your yaker?

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• FrancoFranco Chestertown, MDCharter Member
    One of the sponsors at Swim the Suck was giving out sample packs of these gels. I haven't tried them yet or looked closely at ingredients but they may work for you. No malto.
    http://ignitenaturals.com/reload-energy-gel.php
  • ketosketos Member
    edited November 2012
    Franco wrote:
    Looks like we have a winner :) As far as I can tell it's nutrients sourced from figs with a few added vitamins and other fruit flavorings. Thanks so much
    Cliff Shot Blocks are 95% organic, and they don't have any corn or gluten. All natural flavorings and coloring. Plus they taste good and don't make me thirsty.
    wendyv34
  • steffiesteffie Mexico CityMember

Hello all:
    I have been training for Manhattan this year, and my last two long training swims I have taken Maxim and protein plus a few solid munchies.
    I’ve felt well fed, but last time I had a terrible, unbeareable itch in both hands that lasted an hour or more.
    Today I swam 4 hours, had a bit itch in forearms that dissapeared after an hour during the swim, and as soon as I left the water, the itch on hands, sole of feet and showering I noticed rash on my upper body.

Googled and I think it may be a reaction to maltodextrin, has anyone expirienced this?
    I am 5 weeks away from my swim and need to change my food intake!!!